The Wyrmwood Magnetic Game Master Screen
Ubiquitous
2017-03-06 16:46:42 UTC
Ooooh!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wyrmwood/the-wyrmwood-magnetic-game-master-screen
Spalls Hurgenson
2017-03-07 14:05:25 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Ooooh!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wyrmwood/the-wyrmwood-magnetic-game-master-screen
Cute, but seems overpriced and cumbersome (I'd have to print-n-cut art
and rules to fit into the squares). Not to mention excessively bulky
(so only useful if you game at home and not at a friend's house), and
I'd be terrified that I'd lose those tiny magnets (or that the cat
would swallow 'em).

Of course, the biggest reason for me not to want one of those is that
I mostly gave up using screens years ago. More often than not they got
in the way and interfered with my enjoyment of what is essentially a
group activity. I trust my players enough not to read my adventures
and if I need a secret die roll, I'll just cup my hand over the stupid
things. DM screens seem like an artifact from a past age, when TSR
tossed out "accessories" of all type just to pad their pockets whether
or not they were really necessary to the players.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-07 15:49:12 UTC
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Of course, the biggest reason for me not to want one of those is
that I mostly gave up using screens years ago.
The only gamemaster screen I use these days is the one on my laptop.
It's far more versatile than anything so old school as paper.
--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Justisaur
2017-03-08 23:58:23 UTC
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
I pretty much agree on all that. I never really used a screen much back
in the day either, other than as just a quick reference sheet, which I
found a binder did as well or better at. Some of my best games were
around a coffee table on a comfortable couch (though it had the
unfortunate curse of casting sleep on the users).

I do like that two-way dice tower though that's ingenious.

- Justisaur