Everything You Need to Know about the 5th Edition D&D Player's Handbook
Toby Rutherford
2016-10-11 01:43:13 UTC
At last, a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook has been
released. This version of the world's first RPG wants to satisfy old-
school gamers and draw in newcomers at the same time. With its classic
feel, combined with buffed and polished rules, it just might succeed.

It's been six years since the polarizing 4th Edition of D&D was first
released. That edition was bold and innovative and, ultimately, a
failure – by the end of its life, planned releases were being canceled
left and right because of poor sales. This edition was announced and
developed in a very public way, with open playtest documents that
allowed players to try out various iterations of the rules, then
comment on them so the designers could see what was working and what
wasn't. It felt like a lot was riding on this edition of D&D, like
maybe if this edition bombed, parent company Hasbro would let the game
sit idle for a long time.

Well, there's no worry about that at this point. On the day of its
release, the 5th Edition Player's Handbook was the number one selling
book at Amazon. Not the number one selling RPG book or game. The top
selling book, period. Of course, sustaining that kind of success once
everyone owns the core books is the tricky part, but at least D&D is
strong out of the gate.

The Rules

The hard kernel of rules at the center of 5E (the combat and
adventuring rules) takes up exactly 25 pages in a 300-page book.
Wizards of the Coast uses the word "streamlined" a lot when they talk
about 5E, and it's really true. It's not a dumbed down version of D&D
by any means, but a lot of the jagged edges and needlessly complicated
elements have been filed and sanded down. I talked to D&D Lead Designer
Mike Mearls at Gen Con last week, and he told me that a lot of rules
decisions came down to driving the action to the table rather than to
the books. That meant cutting down on rules that required brute force
memorization and felt more intuitive to the players.

How have things been streamlined? In a lot of little ways. There are no
separate values for saving throws – a saving throw simply uses an
ability score. If the DM says, "Make a Dex save," you roll a d20 and
add your Dexterity modifier. Instead of a menu of skills in which you
purchase ranks, skills are tied directly to ability scores (and there
are fewer skills overall). There's a flat proficiency bonus that
applies to a bunch of different rolls, so you only ever have to know if
you're proficient with something or not. Using a weapon you're
proficient with? Add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll. Using a
skill you're proficient in? Add the bonus. Not proficient? Then just
use your ability modifier. The proficiency bonus starts at +2 at 1st
level and gradually increases to +6 at 20th.

Feats have been improved significantly. For one thing, they're
optional. Classes get boosts to their primary ability scores at certain
levels. You can forego the boost to take a feat instead. The feats have
been consolidated, to great benefit. In 3rd Edition, you had to take a
chain of related feats to specialize in something. In 5E, a single feat
lets you be great at mounted combat or fighting against spellcasters.
This means feats are much more powerful, individually, and instead of
just being yet another thing your character can do, they really help
define who the character is.

One of the biggest changes is the removal of static bonuses for most
rolls. You'll still find the odd +2 bonus here and there, but those
have mostly been replaced by advantage and disadvantage. On those
rolls, you simply roll an extra D20, and take the higher of the two if
you have advantage (take the lower for disadvantage). It's a really fun
way to boost a roll, doesn't require bookkeeping or remembering a bunch
of variables, and really speeds up play.

There are a lot of other small tweaks like this, things that maintain
the feel of classic D&D, but remove a lot of the parts that made things
less fun (no flanking rules, and only one way to trigger an attack of
opportunity). Having read through the Player's Handbook thoroughly and
having played several sessions using these rules, I have yet to find a
rule a actively dislike.

Characters

5E feels most like 3rd Edition, if you need to compare it to something.
Classes gain new abilities as they reach each level, gaining more
options for dealing with whatever strange things they encounter. While
characters do get more powerful as they level up, there is no "attack
bonus treadmill." That is, there's less artificial scaling up of power
levels to match equally scaled up monster power levels. Some monsters
are a lot tougher than others, of course, but to beat them you'll need
to use your best spells or cleverly utilize special character
abilities. You gradually get better at things, but there's no whopping
attack bonuses to match ridiculous monster AC.

The available classes cover a lot of terrain: barbarian, bard, cleric,
druid, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, warlock,
wizard. The concept of paragon paths or prestige classes has been
folded into the core classes. You generally pick these archetypes at
3rd level (is your paladin a classic holy warrior, or more of an
avenger? Is your rogue more of a thief or an assassin?). This gives
players a lot of room for character customization built right into the
core classes, without having to worry about multi-classing. Multi-
classing if certainly available, and mostly straightforward, for more
advanced players.

And there are plenty of crunchy rules to exploit if you're a hardcore
min-maxer who enjoys building powerful characters. I've already
discovered that an Eldritch Knight (a fighter archetype) becomes really
powerful at 7th level, since she can cast the at-will cantrip True
Strike (which grants advantage) as a bonus action – that means
advantage on every single attack! It's also not too difficult to build
a heavily armored spellcaster, since casters don't have arbitrary
restrictions on armor use. It's based on whether or not you're
proficient in the armor, and careful race selection, feats, or multi-
classing can result in a wizard in full plate, no problem.

What's particularly interesting is that a lot of the rules are intended
to push players in the direction of role-playing. How much players get
into character and story of course depends on the group, but when the
system nudges you in that direction it really helps. Character
backgrounds are an integral part of character creation, instead of an
optional add-on that was easy to forget about. Each background gives a
character a couple of extra skill proficiencies and a nice bonus
feature, plus a set of related equipment. There are tables to roll
various personality traits tied to each background. Are these things
necessary for a good RPG? No, but having them present in the core book,
and tied to tightly to core characters, puts the idea front and center
that this game is about telling stories with interesting characters.

Art

The art is a major part of any RPG. One of the things that drew me in
when I was a kid was the amazing paintings of adventurers and monsters.
I'd stare at them for hours imagining what stories and adventures had
lead to that moment. The art in the Player's Handbook is excellent.
There are a lot of contributing artists, each with a slightly different
style, but it all feels very cohesive. There's a lot of action and
expression, each piece acting as a gateway into another fun adventure
or exciting moment.

This edition of D&D goes out of its way to be inclusive. For instance,
character creation emphasizes that gender choice doesn't "come with any
special benefits or hindrances," and that characters can explore ways
in which they defy stereotypes. There's an entire paragraph describing
ways to reject binary ideas about gender, and specifically says, "your
character's sexual orientation is for you to decide." That vibe is
carried through in the art. A pretty wide range of races, skin tones,
and body shapes are depicted, including some of the iconic images that
accompany the core classes. The women tend to wear reasonable,
practical armor and cloaks, and there's certainly no gender division in
terms of class or ability. There are badass warriors and wild-eyed
spellcasters of all kinds.

Digital Tools

Wizards of the Coast has licensed with Trapdoor Technologies to produce
digital tools for use with this edition. At Gen Con, I was able to
attend a demo of these tools, called DungeonScape (full disclosure,
Trapdoor treated press to a nice steak dinner at this demo). It
certainly made character creation a breeze, but then, character
creation is really easy with 5E to begin with. What's nice is that the
app (built for tablets and web browsers) allows customization to a lot
of elements, so if you're using house rules or creating your own magic
items, it's really easy to adjust things to fit.

DungeonScape has in-play management tools for players and DMs. It will
track party initiative, for example, and allow the DM to send secret
instant messages to individual players. The developers at Trapdoor are
definitely serious gamers, so there was a lot of discussion about the
right way to use digital tools without ending up with players staring
at their devices and not at their friends or the action on the table.

All of that is neat, but nothing several existing apps can't already
do. What's most interesting is that 5E adventures are incorporated
directly into the app. So if you buy Hoard of the Dragon Queen within
DungeonScape, it will give you the maps, NPCs, monster stats,
everything all within the app. You can even make notes that stay with
the adventure to remind you that the players killed this NPC or already
rescued the merchant prince. I spoke with Trapdoor founder Chris Matney
(who brought out his stack of 1st Edition D&D books to prove they were
true gamers and not just some random tech company hired to make an app)
about adventure integration. I was musing about how it's probably a pie
in the sky scenario, but bringing in classic D&D adventure modules into
DungeonScape would be awesome. He surprised me by saying, "It's not a
pie in the sky, it's something that's going to happen because we all
want it to happen."

The pricing model for the app hasn't been released, but the demo build
suggested a sort of a la cart model, where you could purchase access to
individual classes and races. On one hand, I hate microtransactions
like that, but if you're a casual player who just needs basic access to
one or two classes, that might make things cheaper in the long run.
We'll have to see how it all plays out.

But Is It Fun?

I've run the Starter Set adventure with two different groups now (using
pre-generated characters and ones we created), and it really is a lot
of fun. The streamlining lets you enjoy the good parts of the game
while spending less time bogged down in esoteric rules. The baked-in
character backgrounds drive interaction and storytelling. I also love
the Inspiration rules, whereby the DM can award a D20 to a player for
playing their character really well or just doing something creative
and awesome. That D20 can be used to give advantage to any roll, or
awarded in turn to another player. I bought a bunch of really bright,
neon green D20s at Gen Con so that the Inspiration dice will always be
really obvious at the table.

Despite how smoothly it runs, this version of D&D is not dumbed down. I
asked Mearls about one of my pet peeves, the goofy way that spell
levels and spellcaster levels never match up. If you're a fifth level
wizard, you're casting third level spells, and that never made sense to
me. Mearls told me it was an intentional choice to leave some of those
jagged edges to keep everything from feeling too generic. Elements like
spell levels and skills are part of D&D lore, so they kept some of
those in (one iteration of the playtest rules had no skills at all,
just ability proficiencies). This allows D&D to feel organic and a
little weird, and call back to those earlier editions that we often
loved because of their flaws, not despite them.

The Future

How do you sustain interest in D&D once the core books are out? Past
editions have just tacked on more and more. More feats, more powers,
more monsters. That well inevitably runs dry. It looks like 5E is going
to tie things to big adventures to a large extent, probably with
splatbooks adding new features and player options to go along with
them. Mearls wasn't clear on those plans, but he did tell me that
Wizards would be putting out fewer D&D releases overall. They want each
release to be a big event, something that RPG culture discusses and
gets excited about. Every 5E book will be a milestone of some kind.

This edition is also very expandable by design. When the Dungeon
Master's Guide comes out in a few months, it will act as a sort of
hacker's guide to D&D. All the rules to play the game are in the
Player's Handbook (you might need a published adventure for now, since
there's only a handful of creatures in the PHB), so the DM's Guide will
show you how to customize and adapt and create things yourself.

But there's also room for entirely new, optional systems. Mearls told
me that he really likes a background based skill system like the one
13th Age uses (so instead of picking skill ranks you just assign ranks
to a background like, "Former pirate of the Midnight Sea," and you can
use those ranks when you navigate, steer a ship, untie a knot, appraise
treasure, or anything else you can think of that fits). But that system
was too far from the core, familiar way skills usually work in D&D, and
is a little tough for new players to handle. It's a perfect system for
a future book for more advanced players, however.

There's no such thing as a perfect fantasy role-playing game. Everyone
has different tastes, different play styles, and different nostalgia
that makes them love a game for different reasons. But this Player's
Handbook lays out an adaptable, easy to learn game that carries with it
much of the flavor and history of 40-odd years of Dungeons & Dragons.
My gaming group seems thoroughly won over by our initial sessions, and
I'm personally excited about D&D like I haven't been for quite a while.
LL
2016-10-11 11:14:32 UTC
On 11.10.2016 03:43, Toby Rutherford wrote:
<snip>
Post by Toby Rutherford
This edition of D&D goes out of its way to be inclusive. For instance,
I'm unaware that DnD or Pathfinder were exclusive at any point of time.
Post by Toby Rutherford
character creation emphasizes that gender choice doesn't "come with any
special benefits or hindrances," and that characters can explore ways
in which they defy stereotypes. There's an entire paragraph describing
ways to reject binary ideas about gender, and specifically says, "your
Companies who promote certain political agendas (like the gender
ideology) will lose customers who don't like political propaganda
at their gaming tables.
Post by Toby Rutherford
character's sexual orientation is for you to decide."
As if this wasn't always the case!?
Post by Toby Rutherford
That vibe is carried through in the art.
A pretty wide range of races, skin tones, and body shapes are depicted,
Like elves, dwarves and halflings? Yeah, missed them dearly before.
Post by Toby Rutherford
including some of the iconic images that accompany the core classes.
The women tend to wear reasonable, practical armor and cloaks,
No more chainmail bikinis? Meh.
Too much realism might take the fun out of fantasy, just sayin'
Post by Toby Rutherford
and there's certainly no gender division in terms of class or ability.
There are badass warriors and wild-eyed spellcasters of all kinds.
If real world gender *ideology* is incorporated in the rules,
why not real world *sciences* like, say, biology?

How about: human males +2 Str, human females +2 Dex
Too much realism in a fantasy game?

And what about the horrible age discrimination?
Is it still there in 5ed?
Venerable equals -6 Str, Dex and Con!!!11!!11

LL
Tetsubo
2016-10-11 11:42:21 UTC
Post by Toby Rutherford
At last, a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook has been
released. This version of the world's first RPG wants to satisfy old-
school gamers and draw in newcomers at the same time. With its classic
feel, combined with buffed and polished rules, it just might succeed.
It's been six years since the polarizing 4th Edition of D&D was first
released.
And the reason I will never, ever buy another WizBro product.
--
Tetsubo
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
Justisaur
2016-10-11 15:42:06 UTC
Post by Toby Rutherford
At last, a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook has been
released. This version of the world's first RPG wants to satisfy old-
school gamers and draw in newcomers at the same time. With its classic
feel, combined with buffed and polished rules, it just might succeed.
Aren't you a couple years late with this? The 5e PHB was released
8-19-2014.

I've been playing it a little more than half that time, and running it a
little less than half. I still don't like the edition, but I find it
mostly more tolerable than 3e/4e. I don't really know exactly what's
wrong with it, but it feels far more constrained and too balanced than
previous editions excluding 4e. I like the idea of a lot of the
changes, but they just seem to suck the magic out of the game.

I hate disadvantage, I've gone on enough rants against it, but the basic
issue is that it's too huge of a difference, you might as well find
something else to do as do anything you have to with disadvantage, it's
a big negative for ranged combat as short ranges are seriously short.
Advantage I find too big of a bonus and more annoying and constraining
than more fine tuned bonuses, but it's not as big a deal as
disadvantage. Both have the problem that most people don't realize just
how big a difference each makes, and players keep trying to do things
even with disadvantage, if you do the math you can see it's usually
pointless.

I find character creation pretty time consuming still, I can whip out a
starting AD&D character in about 10-15 minutes, far less in the classic
editions. It takes me hours for even a 1st level character in 5e. I've
run across people that can do it in half an hour, but not sure if
they're actually filling everything out.

I've kind of a love-hate relationship with the extremely low magic-item
quantity default, lack of item creation, bounded accuracy, low
lethality with frequent knockouts, and pew-pew casters.

I really don't like what they've done with spell prep either, it seems
an extra step for no gain.

I could go on and on though.

The only thing I really like about the system is that it's very easy to
find players.

- Justisaur
Joanna Rowland Stuart
2016-10-25 22:00:00 UTC
Post by Justisaur
I hate disadvantage, I've gone on enough rants against it, but the
basic issue is that it's too huge of a difference, you might as
well find something else to do as do anything you have to with
disadvantage, it's a big negative for ranged combat as short ranges
are seriously short.
The DM can say that other factors cancel the disadvantage (long range,
but significant enough height advantage), and be stingy in doling out
disadvantages. At the end of the day, the DM interprets the rules.
Post by Justisaur
I find character creation pretty time consuming still
I can create a 1st level 5e D&D character in half an hour, easy, using a
point buy array. There are many self-calculating 5e character sheets
about to take the pain out of writing everything down, and some even make
it easy to choose spells and feats.

An hour to create a higher level (3rd-9th) character, slightly more for
10th upwards. And the self-calculating sheets can continue to make it
easy (automatically getting correct proficiency bonus and assuming
average HP rolls for 2nd level onwards, while allowing one to roll one's
own)

And as for magic items, once again it's up to the DM.
I've had 1st level characters roll a CHA save DC 20 to see if they get a
+1 (or similarly minor/uncommon) magic item at the start. No longer is
CHA a dump stat for a fighter LOL.

The spell system works (one knows X spells, one has Y spell slots, and Z
cantrips)

I would have preferred a mana-based system, with casters having a certain
amount of mana at each level, and each spell costs it's level in mana,
with mana being replenished over time, rather than anything close to
Vancian magic, and have all casters as spontaneous casters. Sorcerers get
to do variations to their spells (it's draconic or wild magic yanno) and
spontaneously change the elemental aspect of a spell (dragon) or tweak
the range, AoE (line, cone, sphere), or damage (usually downwards, d4
instead of d6) of a spell slightly

It's quite easy to tweak 5e to that mana system anyway. One has X known
spells, and one point of mana per 1st level spell slot, 2 for every
second level slot etc.

Cheers
JOanna
JimP.
2016-11-08 03:27:14 UTC
Post by Justisaur
Post by Toby Rutherford
At last, a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook has been
released. This version of the world's first RPG wants to satisfy old-
school gamers and draw in newcomers at the same time. With its classic
feel, combined with buffed and polished rules, it just might succeed.
Aren't you a couple years late with this? The 5e PHB was released
8-19-2014.
4 newsgroups, must be a spammer.

I'm a 1E person, and so are my players.
Joanna Rowland Stuart
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by JimP.
I'm a 1E person, and so are my players.
Most of the gamers I know in Brighton UK play 5e. Some few still play 2e
or 3.5e. There is a significant following for Pathfinder.

Cheers
JOanna
JimP.
2016-11-19 21:04:42 UTC
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 21:00 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
Post by Joanna Rowland Stuart
Post by JimP.
I'm a 1E person, and so are my players.
Most of the gamers I know in Brighton UK play 5e. Some few still play 2e
or 3.5e. There is a significant following for Pathfinder.
Cheers
JOanna
Some of my relatives, and some of my former players, do play and like
Pathfider.
--
Jim