Is 3e actually rules light as compares to 5e?
Justisaur
2017-05-09 15:41:21 UTC
I'm beginning to wonder... especially if you consider just core (not
that there's that much extra in 5e to add on). There's just so much of
what I consider clunky rules add-ons. Archetypes chosen somewhere
between 1st to 3rd. The spell system with known spells, spell
preparation and spell slots all being different, then you've got spells
that change what they do if you cast them using a higher spell slot, and
the concentration mechanic added to quite a few spells, constant saves,
etc.

Just a thought.

Am I actually pining for 3e? No can't be...

- Justisaur
Ubiquitous
2017-05-10 13:51:42 UTC
Post by Justisaur
I'm beginning to wonder... especially if you consider just core (not
that there's that much extra in 5e to add on). There's just so much of
what I consider clunky rules add-ons. Archetypes chosen somewhere
between 1st to 3rd. The spell system with known spells, spell
preparation and spell slots all being different, then you've got spells
that change what they do if you cast them using a higher spell slot, and
the concentration mechanic added to quite a few spells, constant saves,
etc.
Just a thought.
Am I actually pining for 3e? No can't be...
The first thing I noted in my quick reading of 5th edition is a return to the
class system of 2nd edition. I have mixed feelings about it. I liked building
entities with feats but baking the features in the classes makes things much
easier to manage...