Then and Now
Spalls Hurgenson
2017-09-04 03:33:57 UTC
Back in the day, I ignored the deficiencies of my DM but argued
endlessly over minutae of different game systems. Now, we really don't
care what rules we use but God forbid the DM tries to railroad us or
if his setting lacks consistency.

In years past, I couldn't afford the books, so when I went to the
store I usually ended up buying dice. Now that I can afford all the
books I realize I don't want them... and I have a hard time justifying
$10 for a bag of numbered plastic.

Once upon a time, we hid the fact that we played D&D on a weekly -
even daily basis, but boasted about how frequently we had sex. These
days, I proudly boast if I manage to get the gang together once a
month for a gaming session, and our sex lives aren't even a topic.

In my youth, we grumbled if the DM tried to make us talk to an NPCs,
but happily engaged in dozens of combats as we slaughtered our way
through a dungeon (or village, for that matter). Nowadays, it's not
unusual for our party to only fight once per session, while most of
our gaming involves puzzles, exploration and talking.

When I was younger, I'd play for twelve hours straight, subsisting on
pizza, donuts, and soda. Now our gang is shagged out after three or
four hours and we all munch on carrot sticks and rice-cakes (on the
plus side, we can drink beer.. but most of us don't :)

Back then, the merest mention of a Monty Python quote would interrupt
the game for 20 minutes. These days... no wait, that's still pretty
much the same.

Any more?
JimP.
2017-09-04 14:02:05 UTC
On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 23:33:57 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Back in the day, I ignored the deficiencies of my DM but argued
endlessly over minutae of different game systems. Now, we really don't
care what rules we use but God forbid the DM tries to railroad us or
if his setting lacks consistency.
In years past, I couldn't afford the books, so when I went to the
store I usually ended up buying dice. Now that I can afford all the
books I realize I don't want them... and I have a hard time justifying
$10 for a bag of numbered plastic.
I have all the 1e hard bound and a few on pdf. I still occasionaly buy
pound-o-dice. I have around 3,00 dice these days. But the Dice
Colector has around 75,000 dice, no two alike. Which is what the
Guniness book people told him he would have to do as anyone can
accumulate large amounts, no two alike is harder and becomes worth to
go in their book/list.
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Once upon a time, we hid the fact that we played D&D on a weekly -
even daily basis, but boasted about how frequently we had sex. These
days, I proudly boast if I manage to get the gang together once a
month for a gaming session, and our sex lives aren't even a topic.
I DMed in two game stores and at the house weekly. Then a store closed
and I started DMing at another store. About 5 sessions per week at th
height of gaming. We rarely talked about sex, but we did go see Rocky
Horror every Saturday at Midnight.
--
Jim