Classy Names
Add Reply
Justisaur
2015-02-12 17:46:43 UTC
Repost from DF with a slight different focus. Add your names that reflect class or race or even NPC occupation. I'm not sure what you call those kind of names, but Car Talk has been using them for some time, and I know they appeared at least in the Johnny Carson days of The Late Show.

Male
Brother Healme, Cleric
Martial Pain, Fighter
Castor Speels, Magic-user
Robin Banks, Thief
Puck Enghel, Elf
Darrock Ishard, Dwarf
Fry Smalls, Halfling

Female
Nunya Bidness, Cleric
Trudy Gauntlet, Fighter
Sandy Witch, Magic-user
Kat Boogler, Thief
Twiggy Mossbottom, Elf
Ruby Infist, Dwarf
Minnie Underfoot, Halfling

Nunya is a name one of my player's actually used.

Male Elves are difficult to come up with names for. I'm not terribly satisfied with that one. Or the female M-U.

My old dwarf's name is actually Nailor Bloodaxe. He had some brothers too, though I don't remember the names.

A couple more

Hilde Battleaxe, female dwarf
Ballie Enchain, female dwarf
Detrich Iznotulav, male gnome wizard (favorite spell TUHL)

-------

Others from the thread not mine:

Klepto, Thief - ken-do-min
Keebler, Elf - ken-do-min
Axebeard Beardaxe, Dwarf -slithy
Presto, Magic-User (D&D cartoon) - ken-do-min
Trixy, female Magic-user - ken-do-min
Little Debbie, halfling - ken-do-min
Cookie the female Halfling - Scott Anderson
Groin, male Dwarf - Thialfi
Clambeard, female Dwarf - Raymond

From the 1e DMG:
Gutboy Barrelhouse, dwarf Fighter
Aggro the Axe, Fighter
Arkayn, Magic-User
Blastum, Magic-User
Barjin, Half-Elf F/M-U

- Justisaur
Anonymous Jack
2015-02-17 19:50:06 UTC
Post by Justisaur
Repost from DF with a slight different focus. Add your names that reflect class or race or even NPC occupation.
Joaquin B'Heindyu - rogue, from a campaign I ran

Justin Thyme - barbarian/sorcerer, from same campaign, would stay back and cast spells until out, then ran up into combat, usually just in time...

Giaour Khaffir - a paladin that I played

Tymatha Munth - female barbarian I played (long 'Y' sound, soft 'th' sound)
Joanna Rowland Stuart
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
*Date:* Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:50:06 -0800 (PST)
On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 12:46:45 PM UTC-5, Justisaur
Post by Justisaur
Repost from DF with a slight different focus. Add your names
that reflect class or race or even NPC occupation.
Anaië-ná Hen-me'urramya

Lit. Has been and is, a child of the thunder.

A L3 elven druid hermit going by the name Anaina Thunderchild to those
non-elves she trusts (or Ana to everyone else).

Cheers
JOanna
Nicole Massey
2015-02-20 15:12:14 UTC
*Date:* Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:50:06 -0800 (PST)
Post by Justisaur
Repost from DF with a slight different focus. Add your names
that reflect class or race or even NPC occupation.
Anaië-ná Hen-me'urramya
Lit. Has been and is, a child of the thunder.
A L3 elven druid hermit going by the name Anaina Thunderchild to those
non-elves she trusts (or Ana to everyone else).
I had a player play Anolde Monk once. Another one played a thief named Uri
Loote. A couple of players floated the idea of two clerics, Katarinaa "Kat"
O'Lick and Barbara "Babs" Tist, who would spend their non-combat time
arguing over theology. And then there's my neanderthall ranger, named Phugg.
His last name is Choo.
This thread has also given me the idea for a ranger named Sandy Pathfinder.
Ralph Glatt
Baldric Windydrawers, a fighter with a digestion problem. ;-P
Justisaur
2017-12-02 16:55:13 UTC
Post by Justisaur
Add your names that reflect class or race or even NPC occupation.
Sandy Witch, Magic-user
Slight variation I like a bit better Sandra Wytch

Also have a Druid I'm playing, Holly Berry

- Justisaur
Anonymous Jack
2017-12-05 15:14:49 UTC
Post by Justisaur
Post by Justisaur
Add your names that reflect class or race or even NPC occupation.
Sandy Witch, Magic-user
Slight variation I like a bit better Sandra Wytch
Also have a Druid I'm playing, Holly Berry
- Justisaur
Inspired by a Tuff Darts album, non-DnD (was a home brew Paranoia/Call of Cthulhu style RPG)- a friend and I played British paranormal investigators named:
Ben Dover and C. Howitt Feals

Wasn't race or class so much, more "we know how characters in Paranoia/Cthulhu games end up"
Paul Colquhoun
2017-12-06 05:02:09 UTC
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 09:46:43 -0800 (PST), Justisaur <***@gmail.com> wrote:
| Repost from DF with a slight different focus. Add your names that reflect class
| or race or even NPC occupation. I'm not sure what you call those kind of names,
| but Car Talk has been using them for some time, and I know they appeared at least
| in the Johnny Carson days of The Late Show.

A local paper published a run of these "names that fit your occupation"
a while back, and they called it Nominative Determinism.

The D&D character names are probably the other way around, but in-game
you could say that their name had some bearing on what class they chose.
--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
Justisaur
2017-12-06 19:47:31 UTC
Post by Paul Colquhoun
| Repost from DF with a slight different focus. Add your names that reflect class
| or race or even NPC occupation. I'm not sure what you call those kind of names,
| but Car Talk has been using them for some time, and I know they appeared at least
| in the Johnny Carson days of The Late Show.
A local paper published a run of these "names that fit your occupation"
a while back, and they called it Nominative Determinism.
The D&D character names are probably the other way around, but in-game
you could say that their name had some bearing on what class they chose.
There's actually a word for that now "Aptonyms"

Had a few more to add I thought of since I posted last:

Margaret (Maggs) Usery - female M-U
Blastie - female M-U
Cassandra (Cassy) Speels - female M-U
Tor Fi - male Fighter

- Justisaur
(Posting from gg as ES is giving me fits right now)
Paul Colquhoun
2017-12-09 23:13:58 UTC
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 11:47:31 -0800 (PST), Justisaur <***@gmail.com> wrote:
| On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 9:08:28 PM UTC-8, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
|> On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 09:46:43 -0800 (PST), Justisaur <***@gmail.com> wrote:
|> | Repost from DF with a slight different focus. Add your names that reflect class
|> | or race or even NPC occupation. I'm not sure what you call those kind of names,
|> | but Car Talk has been using them for some time, and I know they appeared at least
|> | in the Johnny Carson days of The Late Show.
|>

|> A local paper published a run of these "names that fit your occupation"
|> a while back, and they called it Nominative Determinism.
|>
|> The D&D character names are probably the other way around, but in-game
|> you could say that their name had some bearing on what class they chose.
|
| There's actually a word for that now "Aptonyms"
|
| Had a few more to add I thought of since I posted last:
|
| Margaret (Maggs) Usery - female M-U
| Blastie - female M-U
| Cassandra (Cassy) Speels - female M-U
| Tor Fi - male Fighter

From Terry Pratchett's "Wee Free Men" is their leader,
Robert (Rob) Anybody

Then there is the highwayman called Stan Dandyliver
JimP
2017-12-10 02:27:57 UTC
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 10:13:58 +1100, Paul Colquhoun
Post by Paul Colquhoun
|> | Repost from DF with a slight different focus. Add your names that reflect class
|> | or race or even NPC occupation. I'm not sure what you call those kind of names,
|> | but Car Talk has been using them for some time, and I know they appeared at least
|> | in the Johnny Carson days of The Late Show.
|>

|> A local paper published a run of these "names that fit your occupation"
|> a while back, and they called it Nominative Determinism.
|>
|> The D&D character names are probably the other way around, but in-game
|> you could say that their name had some bearing on what class they chose.
|
| There's actually a word for that now "Aptonyms"
|

| Margaret (Maggs) Usery - female M-U
| Blastie - female M-U
| Cassandra (Cassy) Speels - female M-U
| Tor Fi - male Fighter
From Terry Pratchett's "Wee Free Men" is their leader,
Groan!
LL
2017-12-10 10:00:17 UTC
Post by Paul Colquhoun
|> | Repost from DF with a slight different focus. Add your names that reflect class
|> | or race or even NPC occupation. I'm not sure what you call those kind of names,
|> | but Car Talk has been using them for some time, and I know they appeared at least
|> | in the Johnny Carson days of The Late Show.
|>

|> A local paper published a run of these "names that fit your occupation"
|> a while back, and they called it Nominative Determinism.
|>
|> The D&D character names are probably the other way around, but in-game
|> you could say that their name had some bearing on what class they chose.
|
| There's actually a word for that now "Aptonyms"
|

| Margaret (Maggs) Usery - female M-U
| Blastie - female M-U
| Cassandra (Cassy) Speels - female M-U
| Tor Fi - male Fighter
From Terry Pratchett's "Wee Free Men" is their leader,
Robert (Rob) Anybody
Then there is the highwayman called Stan Dandyliver
Groan!
Ray Syoorax, Dwarf Barbarian