Yet another ability score generation method - In order replace with 18 or 2 16s
Justisaur
2017-04-05 17:26:37 UTC
Generate your scores in order with 3d6 or 4d6. Then choose 1 to replace
with an 18 or 2 to replace with 16s.

I can't figure out exact averages as it depends if you always replace
the lowest score or if you prefer to replace a score that's good for a
particular class you want to play. Without considering that you get an
average of

3d6x5+18 = 70.5
3d6x4+16x2 = 74
(3d6x6 = 63)

4d6D1x5+18 = 80.5
4d6D1x4+16x2 = 82
(4d6D1x6 = 75)

A couple examples.

With 3d6 I rolled

Str 13
Int 6
Wis 14
Dex 12
Con 7
Cha 11

63 points, straight up average for 3d6.

If going with those scores as is It'd be a Human Cleric, with arrange as
desired, I'd probably switch everything around to Str 7, Int 13, Wis 6,
Dex 14, Con 12, Cha 11 and have an Elf T/M-U

I probably wouldn't go with an M-U with 18 int, which would normally be
my #1 preference, as that low con and nothing else standing out wouldn't
be too good. If only given the option of replacing 1 with 18, I'd
probably replace the Con and play a dwarf F/C(if available) or F/T, or
just F. This gives a total of 74 points, which is pretty close to
standard 4d6D1.

With 2 16s I'd definitely consider putting a 16 in int and a 16 in con
and playing a human M-U or elf F or T /M-U. This gives a total of 82
points, which is beyond the normal 4d6D1 range.

For 4d6 I rolled:

Str 14
Int 16
Wis 11
Dex 14
Con 13
Cha 12

A pretty good set of rolls, we're already at 80 points so that's 5 above
average, but might be tossed out with 2x15 rule. Although as a player
I'd prefer to just accept that roll, and certainly allow it as a DM, and
I'd probably go with Elf F or T M-U. If using arrange as desired, I
might switch str and con, but that wouldn't really make any difference.

With a single 18, I'd probably put it in Con again and definitely play
an Elf F/M-U so I can get that full con bonus and dex up to 15. This
gives 85 points total

If allowed to replace 2 with 16's I'd replace the Dex and Con with 16s
and have a good human M-U or Elf F/M-U. Although I might be able to
qualify for some of the subclasses which I like too, I could qualify for
Druid with 16 Wis & 16 Cha (probably wouldn't due to lower con), or
Ranger with 16 wis & con, or Illusionist with 16 con & dex - that's
probably what I'd do. Still can't qualify for Monk or Bard though. This
also gives 85 points.

This is actually somewhat similar to how 7e GW generates scores, though
you don't pick which score is replaced, it's based on your randomly
assigned race(s)-classe(s). It's also similar to how all the DMs I
played with had people generate scores back in the day, as they let you
roll until you got an 18 then that was the first score you got, although
they also used 4d6 drop lowest and reroll 1s, and even 2s for some, and
assigning scores as desired.

- Justisaur
JimP.
2017-04-05 18:07:40 UTC
Post by Justisaur
Generate your scores in order with 3d6 or 4d6. Then choose 1 to replace
with an 18 or 2 to replace with 16s.
snippage.

I decided, haven't done this for actual player characters yet, to
reroll and 1 or 2. So 4d6, any die with a 1 or 2 result gets rerolled.
So far I have only used this for NPCs. I don't use 'in order' for the
stats.
Jim
uglyvan
2017-04-05 20:10:02 UTC
to roll dice for long-term usage is bad:

if you are lucky you will bear high stats ( idem for hit points )
and if you're unlucky ( me ) you will get nada.

now if you like to roll dice I have stuff for you:

using D6T

6 6
5 5
4 4
3 3
2 3
1 3

roll n d6 one at a time,
stop rolling a soon as you reach 100
recall the number of d6T rolled ( around 25d6T, min 17 max 34 )

now wtf will you do with say 25 points ?

well, one method ( and now with 5E you will have 27 points )

:)
Spalls Hurgenson
2017-04-06 13:24:38 UTC
Post by Justisaur
Generate your scores in order with 3d6 or 4d6. Then choose 1 to replace
with an 18 or 2 to replace with 16s.
Bah, in my day we rolled up characters with attributes of 3s and LIKED
it!

Well, maybe not LIKED it, but if that's the way the dice rolled,
that's what we played with. 18s were rare, and a character with 2
attributes of 16 or higher? We worshipped him as a god and never let
him in the dungeon ;-)

Kids these days... Get off my lawn!

(note: none of the above story is true)
Anonymous Jack
2017-04-06 13:50:10 UTC
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Bah, in my day we rolled up characters with attributes of 3s and LIKED
it!
Well, maybe not LIKED it, but if that's the way the dice rolled,
that's what we played with. 18s were rare,
this is how I started out, though if your rolls were so mediocre as to be no fun to play, we'd assume that was just a random villager who decided to stay home rather than adventure out, and we'd start over with 3d6 in the order rolled.

Spent a lot of time rolling :)
Justisaur
2017-04-10 18:14:26 UTC
Post by Anonymous Jack
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Bah, in my day we rolled up characters with attributes of 3s and LIKED
it!
Well, maybe not LIKED it, but if that's the way the dice rolled,
that's what we played with. 18s were rare,
this is how I started out, though if your rolls were so mediocre as to be no fun to play, we'd assume that was just a random villager who decided to stay home rather than adventure out, and we'd start over with 3d6 in the order rolled.
Spent a lot of time rolling :)
I too started out with 3d6, with Holmes Basic. Of course in Holmes Basic
the scores mostly didn't mean much 5%-10% increase in xp, though Con &
Dex were probably way too important to have, unfortunately pretty rare.

Holmes Basic is also in order, which is probably why I like the idea of
in order. You could trade 2-1 for str, wis & int down to 9, but that
wasn't really that useful.

- Justisaur