OD&D Solo Xylarthen's Tower #1
Justisaur
2017-03-21 19:22:36 UTC
Here we are again, another Solo game.

I'm planning on using mostly OD&D 3LBB rules and using Full Metal Plate
or Holmes to answer things I can't

I'll make a full party and play them against a module.

I had previously made the following for my first attempt at OD&D, but
never used them so here they are (added some references from editions):

I've often wondered about the original OD&D, I've heard it's very
similar to my introduction to D&D - the Holmes Basic edition. I've
decided to try giving this the same treatment I did with "Diary of Pain"
for AD&D. I first note that OD&D uses 3d6 in order, but you can trade
some ability scores for others. There's 6 classes/races in total,
though it's not exactly as in Basic as it's Fighter, Cleric, Magic-User,
Elf Fighter Magic-User, Dwarf Fighter, and Halfling Fighter (as opposed
to the Demi-humans just being called by the race name, and no Thief)
although you can play anything with the DM's approval as stated, same as
Holmes. If I try for one of each, that's 6 characters, 3 & 1/2 are
Fighters though, with 1 & 1/2 M-U and only one Cleric. Very heavy on
the fighters. Let's roll.

1)
Name: Filler Woreos Class: Cleric

Strength: 9 Intelligence: 13 L+3 Wisdom: 16 XP+10%

Constitution: 13 WA Dexterity: 13 Charisma: 16 MH6,LB+2

Hit Points (1) 3

Gold Pieces Experience

9 0

Languages: Common, Lawful 3 others

Plate Mail 750# 50

Helmet 50# 10

Shield 150# 10

Mace 50# 5

Misc. 80# 76

(Leather Backpack 5, 6 torches 1, Silver Cross 25, wineskin 1, 50' Rope 1,

Holy Water 25, 3 steaks and mallet 3, 7d iron rations 15)

Total 1130# 6" move

2)

Name: Heron Tome Class: Elf Current - Fighter

Strength: 9 Intelligence: 15(12) XP+5%,L+5 Wisdom: 6(12)

Constitution: 12 WA90% Dexterity: 12 Charisma: 8 MH3

Hit Points (1+1 or 1) 3 or 2

Gold Pieces Experience

4 0

Elf: Note secret doors (FMP: 1/3 passing, 2/3 passing. Holmes: 1/3),
advantage fighting fantastic creatures (Chainmail: chart, FMP: +1
fighting giants, ogres and wraiths. +2 fighting goblins, Holmes: N/A)
cast spells in magic armor (FMP & Holmes: any armor), choose fighter or
magic user (FMP: get hp of first class, Holmes: Be Both). Good with
magic weapons (Chainmail: chart. M&M: +1 dam. FMP: +1 bonus to attack
rolls when they wield magical weapons.) (Holmes: 60' IV). Invisibility
(FMP & Holmes N/A). Split Move and Fire (FMP: Move & Fire, Holmes: N/A)

Languages: Orc, Hobgoblin, Gnoll (FMP: Gnome instead), Elvish, Common,
Chaotic, +1?

Plate Mail 750# 50

Helmet 50# 10

Shield 150# 10

Sword 50# 10

Dagger 20# 3

Short Bow, Quiver & 20 Arrows 50# 35

1 silver tipped arrow 5

Misc. 80# 3

(Large Sack, 6 torches)

Total 1150# 6" move

3)

Name: Tzaramok Law Class: Magic-User

Strength: 6 Intelligence: 13(11) XP+5%,L+3 Wisdom: 4(8)

Constitution: 8 WA40% Dexterity: 9 Charisma: 16
MH6,LB+2

Hit Points (1) 2

Gold Pieces Experience

11 0

Languages: Common, Chaotic & 3 others

Equipment

Dagger 20# 3

Misc. 80# 46

(Leather Backpack 5, lantern 10, 3 flasks of oil 6, water skin 1, 7d
iron rations 15,

50' of rope 1, 10' pole 1, steel mirror 5, wooden cross 2)

Total 100# 12" move

4)

Name: Hadruff Trow Class: Dwarf

Strength: 15(12) XP+10% Intelligence: 3(7) Wisdom: 7(10)

Constitution: 11 WA80% Dexterity: 7 Charisma: 11 MH4

Hit Points (1+1) 7

Gold Pieces Experience

4 0

Dwarf: +4 levels on saves. Note slanting passages, traps, shifting walls
and new construction underground (Holmes: 1/3). (M&T: 1/2 Dam from Ogres
and Giants.) (Holmes 60' IV.)

Languages: Gnome, Kobold, Goblin, Dwarf, Common, Lawful

Equipment

Chain Armor 500# 30

Helmet 50# 10

Shield 150# 10

Dagger 20# 3

Misc. 80# 3

(Large Sack, 6 torches)

Total 800# 9" move

5)

Name: Lucky Leif Class: Halfling

Strength: 9 Intelligence: 6 Wisdom: 8

Constitution: 6 HP-1 Dexterity: 8 Charisma: 11 MH4

Hit Points (1+1 -1 con) 6

Gold Pieces Experience

36 0

Halfling: +4 levels on saves, 'deadly accuracy with missiles'(Chainmail:
3 attacks per 2 Halflings with slings as with arrows. FMP: 2 attacks
every other round with slings at longbow range, Holmes: +1 to hit with
missiles). 'Blend into the Background'? (FMP: N/A, Holmes: 'vanish into
woods or undergrowth')

Languages: Common, Halfling, Lawful

Equipment

Leather Armor 250# 15

Helmet 50# 10

Shield 150# 10

Dagger 20# 3

Sling, 20 stones 20# 1

Misc. 80# 3

(Large Sack, 6 torches)

Total 570# 12" move

Name: Six Dog Class: Fighter

Strength: 9(6) Intelligence: 4(8) Wisdom: 10(13)

Constitution: 12 WA90% Dexterity: 11 Charisma: 16 MH6,LB+2

Hit Points (1+1) 6

Gold Pieces Experience

11 0

Languages: Common, Neutral

Equipment

Plate Mail 750# 50

Helmet 50# 10

Shield 150# 10

Spear 150# 1

Short Bow, Quiver & 20 Arrows 50# 35

Misc. 80# 3

(Large Sack, 6 torches)

Total 1230# 6" move

1 attack per level vs. 1HD or lower creatures.

Scores in parens are the original scores before trading 2 or 3 for 1.
Point buy combined with a roll, worst of both worlds. Very similar to
Holmes, but Holmes also wouldn't let you trade below 9. The only things
that have any game effect other than increasing xp as far as I can tell
are Con, Dex and Cha which you can't trade anyway. HP look to be the
most important roll in making your character.

Questions I've got already:

Do missile weapons attack 2ce per round? I don't see this in the 3LBBs,
Holmes or FMP, but seem to remember someone mentioning it of OD&D. I
found some threads on this and it looks like it's up to interpretation
of how to convert Chainmail. I think I'll leave it off for now.

Do Demi humans get all those abilities like elves with invisibility that
are in chainmail or M&T? Again found info indicating up to DM
interpretation, I'll use it for now.

I decided to run them through Under Xylarthen’s Tower by Jeff Rients.
Caverns of Thracia caught my eye, but UXT was free so off we go.

Diary of Lucky Leif:

I met some like minded individuals at a tavern looking to make some
quick coin, and formed a party for mutual defense. An Elf, a Dwarf and
3 humans. [rumor 10 rolled] We were all here as the word was some
ruined tower in these parts in which a dragon laird, who was recently
killed by a knight, they say it had a ton of treasure left just lying
around. Best act fast, they'll be more willing to go there soon.

Not much of the tower left. A few stones, a trap-door down was it. The
dwarf, a Mr. Trow said his grand-daddy was an adventurer and always told
him tales and he had some pointers, so him and me and elf listened.
Didn't hear nothing, so we went down, we found we were in a passage
which went 3 ways. Had to get some light in here, one of the tallies in
a robe lit up a lantern. The Dwarf against said gruffly "Always follow
the right path. Check for traps and secrets. Take it slow." So we
did. Didn't find anything but a door at the end of the hall. Again we
listened. (Lucky rolled a 2 for listen) I heard something large
breathing heavily.

It took us 3 tries of banging on that door to open it. (bad rolls, no
encounters rolled for each attempt) We were ready and opened the door
(to 6). A grim looking Ogre big as 4 tallies stuck together with arms
folded said something ('password?' in hob). The elf said something back
("Um, Password?" back in hob) The Ogre didn't seem to like his tone, and
turned beat red lifing massive arms into a boxer's pose.

(Initiative Lucky's 3, Ogre 2) We got the drop on him and fired our
missiles but his old smelly untanned furs stopped most of them. Only
the one tallie landed his spear (14 for him, 5 dam, 7 hp left. all
others miss)

(I thought morale might be checked now, I can't find any indication of
how morale is handled int the 3LBBs, what's in Chainmail seems extremely
complicated and perhaps incomprehensible, but it at least indicates it's
after melee, so the Ogre moves & Attacks first. I figure the Dwarf, Elf
& Halfling are at the back and the Fighter, Cleric & M-U at the front as
the little guys have a harder time opening doors at 1 in 6 vs. 2 in 6.
Rolling d3 3=attack fighter. 14, hits any AC, damage d6+2=8 ouch, he's
dead.)

The Ogre was pissed at being hit with a spear and flattened the tallie
that did it with one overhead smash. I was thinking of running away at
that point, but we still had numbers. We rushed around to surround him
and had at him, one of the remaining tallies started wiggling his
fingers and chanting softly a lullaby (no attacks over 12, all miss, M-U
casts sleep. Having a hard time figuring out if there's a save or not,
it looks like there probably should be as nothing calls saves out.
Saves on a 14, rolled a 3 - whew. I like having a save for sleep
better, more tension) The Ogre slowed down then slumped to the floor
snoring.

We discussed what to do with him. The tallie magic-user wanted to tie
him up, subdue him and make him work for us. The Elf was the only one
who had understood him and could talk to him, so it was up to him
ultimately. The Dwarf thought he might break any bonds we put him in
and then smoosh us like the other tallie. I offered to slit his throat.
The Elf at last explained that the Ogre was asking him a password,
that it could be quite useful to get that out of him. We carefully
removed his furs leaving him without defense, and tied him both foot and
hand firmly with several loops of rope supplied by our Magic-User. The
Elf poked at him 'till he woke. (As I'm not sure what he's going to do
I rolled reaction and got 11, which is good) The M-U also tried talking
to him and found they knew one language that the Elf, Magic-User and
Ogre all knew (Chaotic, I assume the Ogre would be Chaotic, though I
haven't found anything regarding monster's alignment in OD&D but FMP
says N or C, so a flipped a coin for Chaotic). I didn't understand at
all, but they seemed to work something out, and released The Ogre and
gave him the equipment of our fallen tallie to carry. They also learned
that the password was 'Blueberry' in Hobgoblin and that the Ogre worked
for Hobgoblins deeper below, which is why he knew the language.

He didn't know about anything else up here but knew the hobgoblins were
down stairs from this room he pointed us to, the Dwarf again repeated
his grandfather's advice "Always check everywhere you can on a level of
a dungeon before ascending or descending to a new one." We decided to
follow that advice and continued following the right wall, which led to
another door out of this guard room. The Ogre opened it, there was a
nasty smell which got worse as we went down a hall which opened up to
the left with a bunch of holes. The Ogre said something which the Elf
translated as "Latrine." We came to another large room with a another
door which had a foot and a half hole in the bottom of it. We searched
through the room finding a secret trapped door in one corner leading to
a shaft going down, we weren't able to see the bottom of it, so closed
it again, to leave that for later.

We checked the door, The Magic-User tied his mirror to the end of a pole
and stuck it through the hole and shined his light, nothing happened and
all he saw was some wood, perhaps barrels or boxed. At last some
treasure! I thought. Once again the Ogre opened the door revealing some
broken barrels, we started picking through them, but they seemed to be
mostly empty.

I, Filler Woreos, previously herin called the tallie Clerc took up this
journal for our party, as you'll see why shortly.

The Ogre, I'd been told his name was Grumm by our Elf, Haron, bent down
to pick one barrel up that was on it's side. Giant weasels emerged
quickly (no surprise, but rolled for who got it and got the Ogre,
Weasels got initative. Giant weasels aren't in the 3LBBs, FMP has them
do 4 extra damage when hitting due to blood drain! One weasel hit, and
did 4, so 8, that kills the Ogre.) One of them got his throat and ended
him in a bloody mess. Grumm tried to staunch the blood but fell over
dead before he hit the floor.

We had already started trying to fend them off, Lucky and the Dwarf,
Hadruff stabbed the same one, still fighting mad, it turned to us
(others missed, 11 hp weasel took 3 from Halfing and 5 from Dwarf. PCs
got init again). Lucky stabbed it again, but it still fought! Tzaramok
stabbed the other right through it's eye! (others missed, 5 hp weasel
took 6 from M-U, Halfling did 1 more to 1st weasel. Possibly time to
check morale since the weasels are at 50% numbers, while trying to find
morale, I found I should be doing Dex as initiative as in Holmes perhaps
adjusted by a d6, FMP used d6 per side which is what I was using since I
didn't find anything eles. Meanwhile Morale... Looks like it uses the
2d6 reaction table, but it doesn't really say what happens for morale at
33% casualties [or the Chainmail rules which I can't work out for this],
o.k. 2d6=11, I think that means good so it keeps fighting. Rolled 18 to
hit Lucky, takes 4 and 4 bleed, dead.)

(roll dex for Weasel 10. Cleric & Elf go first, everyone else last,
Cleric hits for 4, Elf for 1, it dies!) I smashed the beast's skull in
with my mace. We searched the remains, and found some silver a small
pitance for all the death it had cost us (200 sp). We left the Ogre,
but rigged up some litters to drag Lucky and Six Dog, our deceased
Fighter back to town, for none wanted to continue this quest with one
third our force dead.

(Whew, that's pretty deadly, I like it so far though. 1000 xp & 200 sp
split 4 ways, 250 xp each, and 50 sp [5 gp])
Justisaur
2017-03-29 20:20:56 UTC
Post by Justisaur
Here we are again, another Solo game.
I'm planning on using mostly OD&D 3LBB rules and using Full Metal Plate
or Holmes to answer things I can't
I'll make a full party and play them against a module.
I figured I'll just continue in this thread instead of making a new one,
unless someone's got a reason to do otherwise.
Notes from previous session:

I should've had the PCs roll to go back through each door and rolled for
encounters as they did.

Initiative - there's probably at least 10 ways to interpret it, dex
isn't necessarily used as in Holmes for initiative, and I don't
particularly like that version. You can use d6 per side, but it's only
once at the beginning. I always wanted to try simultaneous which is an
option in CM so I'm going to start with that.

Giant Weasels are apparently from GH and should just auto-hit not do
double damage on a hit as FMP has them, Lucky and Grumm might have survived.

I'm using the 'relative' rule so Lucky has a new Halfling who gets a
ton of money, as does Six Dog.

I also decided to detour to the sample dungeon and try that out.

1)
Name: Filler Woreos Class: Cleric
Strength: 9 Intelligence: 13 L+3 Wisdom: 16 XP+10%
Constitution: 13 WA Dexterity: 13 M+1 Charisma: 16 MH6,LB+2
Hit Points (1) 3
Gold Pieces Experience
7 0
Languages: Common, Lawful 3 others
Plate Mail 750# 50
Helmet 50# 10
Shield 150# 10
Mace 50# 5
Misc. 80# 76
(Leather Backpack 5, 6 torches 1, Silver Cross 25, wineskin 1, 50' Rope 1,
Holy Water 25, 3 steaks and mallet 3, 7d iron rations 15)
Total 1130# 6" move

2)
Name: Heron Tome Class: Elf Current - Fighter
Strength: 9 Intelligence: 15(12) XP+5%,L+5 Wisdom: 6(12)
Constitution: 12 WA90% Dexterity: 12 Charisma: 8 MH3
Hit Points (1+1 or 1) 3 or 2 -1
Gold Pieces Experience AC 2
7 255/0
Elf: Note secret doors (FMP: 1/3 passing, 2/3 passing. Holmes: 1/3),
advantage fighting fantastic creatures (Chainmail: chart, FMP: +1
fighting giants, ogres and wraiths. +2 fighting goblins, Holmes: N/A)
cast spells in magic armor (FMP & Holmes: any armor), choose fighter or
magic user (FMP: get hp of first class, Holmes: Be Both). Good with
magic weapons (Chainmail: chart. M&M: +1 dam. FMP: +1 bonus to attack
rolls when they wield magical weapons.) (Holmes: 60' IV). Invisibility
(FMP & Holmes N/A). Split Move and Fire (FMP: Move & Fire, Holmes: N/A)
Languages: Orc, Hobgoblin, Gnoll (FMP: Gnome instead), Elvish, Common,
Chaotic, +1?
Plate Mail 750# 50
Helmet 50# 10
Shield 150# 10
Sword 50# 10
Dagger 20# 3
Short Bow, Quiver & 19 Arrows 50# 35
1 silver tipped arrow 5
Misc. 80# 3
(Large Sack -#350, 6 torches)
Total 1150# 6" move

3)
Name: Tzaramok Law Class: Magic-User
Strength: 6 Intelligence: 13(11) XP+5%,L+3 Wisdom: 4(8)
Constitution: 8 WA50% Dexterity: 9 Charisma: 16
MH6,LB+2
Hit Points (1) 2 Dam -2
Gold Pieces Experience AC 9
14 262.75
Languages: Common, Chaotic & 1 other - Ogre
Equipment
Dagger 20# 3
Misc. 80# 46
(Leather Backpack 5, lantern 10, 3 flasks of oil 6, water skin 1, 6d
iron rations 15,
50' of rope 1, 10' pole 1, steel mirror 5, wooden cross 2)
Total 100# 12" move

4)
Name: Hadruff Trow Class: Dwarf
Strength: 15(12) XP+10% Intelligence: 3(7) Wisdom: 7(10)
Constitution: 11 WA80% Dexterity: 7 M-1 Charisma: 11 MH4
Hit Points (1+1) 7 -3
Gold Pieces Experience AC: 4
7 280.5
Dwarf: +4 levels on saves. Note slanting passages, traps, shifting walls
and new construction underground (Holmes: 1/3). 1/2 Dam from Ogres and
Giants (M&T) (Holmes 60' IV.)
Languages: Gnome, Kobold, Goblin, Dwarf, Common, Lawful
Equipment
Chain Armor 500# 30
Helmet 50# 10
Shield 150# 10
Dagger 20# 3
Misc. 80# 3
(Large Sack -#30, 6 torches)
Total 800# 9" move

5)
Name: Green Lief Class: Halfling
Strength: 9(7) Intelligence: 10(14) Wisdom: 11
Constitution: 11 WA80% Dexterity: 13 M+1 Charisma: 11 MH4
Hit Points (1+1) 6 Dam-1
Gold Pieces Experience
2.9 0
Halfling: +4 levels on saves, 'deadly accuracy with missiles'(Chainmail:
3 attacks per 2 Halflings with slings as with arrows. FMP: 2 attacks
every other round with slings at longbow range, Holmes: +1 to hit with
missiles). 'Blend into the Background'? (FMP: N/A, Holmes: 'vanish into
woods or undergrowth')
Languages: Common, Halfling, Lawful
Equipment
Plate Mail 750# 50
Helmet 50# 10
Shield 150# 10
Dagger 20# 3
Sling, 19 stones 20# 1
Misc. 80# 47
(small sack -#5, holy water, 7d iron rations, 6 torches, wineskin, 3
stakes & mallet, 10' pole)
Mule 43
(2+1 HD, AC , carries 10 Large Sacks -#30 ea & Small Sack can carry #350
in those)

Total 1070# 6" move

6)
Name: Seven Dog Class: Fighter
Strength: 9(8) Intelligence: 6(8) Wisdom: 10
Constitution: 10 WA70% Dexterity: 9 Charisma: 6 MH2,LB-1
Hit Points (1+1) 5
Gold Pieces Experience
17.9 0
Languages: Common, Neutral
Equipment
Plate Mail 750# 50
Helmet 50# 10
Shield 150# 10
Spear 150# 1
Short Bow, Quiver & 20 Arrows 50# 35
Misc. 80# 106
(Large Sack -#30, leather backpack -#30, 6 torches, beledona,
wolvesbane, garlic, wineskin, 50' rope, wineskin, 7d iron rations, 2
holy water, 3 flasks of oil)
Total 1230# 6" move
1 attack per level vs. 1HD or lower creatures.

Hall/search Order, strung out 10' each (only 1d6 with who's there.)
Fighting-Man Seven Dog (F)
Dwarf - Hadruff Trow (D)
Halfling - Green Lief (H)
Magic-User Tzaramok Law (M)
Cleric - Filler Woreos (C)
Elf - Heron Tome (E)

Door Lisening (3d6, 1-2 hears on each):
H E D
M C

Door Opening (3d6 1-2 opens on each):
F M C
D H

Hall movement order, 3
F D H
M E

Hall/door open O
OO F
H M D

Tzarmok adds to the log:

We managed to get the bodies and possessions back to the relatives of
Lucky and Six. Their relatives decided to join us. Green & Seven
respectively. Green had heard of an abandoned castle, we decided to
investigate after having so rough a time at the tower.

We found stairs going down and again followed Hadruff's grandfather's
advice of following the right wall.

(DM - I'm starting them near party is splitting into 10' distance to
check each 10' once for secret doors, this puts Seven right at the edge
of the pit. According to the dwarf ability Hadruff finds the pit)

Hadruff called a stop, and pointed out a covered pit at an intersection.
Green staked it shut and we moved carefully over it to the right. We
found one empty room off to the left, as we did at the end of each of
the other passages from the pit. We had to return to the other
direction from the stairs.

(DM- 3 encounter checks, nothing, back to stairs, got an encounter on
the 2nd check. Rolled centipedes... which don't seem to be given any
stats, can't find in holmes either, o.k. off to the AD&D MM... 2-24, and
OD&D says that should be doubled for a party of 4-6? Wow... looking at
the FF tables they're supposed to be level 2 monsters and 2d6+1 of them,
and AD&D balances for about 9 players, so I'm going to do 1/3 of 2d6+1
which comes out 2, whew that sounds more reasonable. chance of surprise
for PCs, but not monsters due to light. 2 - pcs surprised. d4 for each
to drop weapons, M-U and Elf drop their weapons, d2 for direction -
front/back, back. looks like unintelligent monsters with surprise
automatically choose to attack. The elf is in the back, so they attack
him. 12 & 1, both miss)

Haron yelled out, dropping his dagger. I turned to find two giant
centipedes easily 2 foot long harrying Haron I'm afraid I too fumbled my
dagger. His armor had protected him at least. Fortunately he had a
sword as well, which he drew trying to defend himself. Filler was
closest, and I was busy getting my dagger back so Green moved to
likewise defend him. In the small hallway no one else could get to the
line.

(DM - doing random targeting in melee, though there's nothing about
that, I figure it's easier with me as DM and players. I do that after
rolling attacks though, as it may not be necessary to figure out who
attacked who if the roll is bad enough to miss everyone. Centipedes -
12, 6, both miss. Elf gets 11, that's enough to hit one, they have 1 hp
so it dies. Morale: rolled 8, so keeps fighting.)

Haron skewered one with his sword, and they fought one fought on.

(DM - Centipede 18, it hits, Who- d3 in reverse order, our Cleric. Save
at +4, 2 he dies. Elf hits with a 17, but with simultaneous initiative
it doesn't matter, both the Cleric and Centipede die.)

Haron skewered the other, but it had bitten Filler who fell over
convulsing, we couldn't save him. We discussed what to do, I still had
my spell ready, so we decided to press on, Seven carrying his body. I
thought our searching every inch of the place was not turning out so
well, taking too much time, everyone else but Hadruff agreed. I
suggested to do that after exploring to go over it a second time. He
agreed to go along with us though.

(DM 2 more wandering monster checks the second one comes up, level 1,
Centipedes again rolled 4, only 1 this time. Direction 2, rear again.
Surprise 5 no. distance 1+1 only 20' H & E shoot before they enter
melee. E hits)

Another centipede came at us from behind. Haron shot it with an arrow
before it got close to him this time though.

(DM - they come to 5. D I'm having dead end since I'm not adding to the
map. E teleports them where the DM would like... hmm. How about where
there's some treasure? The only treasure here is A. where 4 Ogres and
2000 gp are... um... OD&D says it's for 20 players, so lets cut both of
those by about 2/3 so 1 ogre rounding down, and 500 gp to match the
ratio of ogres. Roll reaction 3 - that'll be attack. roll surprise for
both sides Ogre 1, PCs 6, Ogre is surprised. rolled 1 on d4 for dropping
what he had... a sack of gold)

Suddenly we appeared in a room with a rather astonished looking Ogre who
dropped a sack out of which spilled a good amount of gold. I thought as
Sleep had worked so well on the last I'd use it again, as well as
reminding the rest to try to knock him out.

(12, 11, 9, 4, need a 14 to hit, so all missed. Save for sleep 4 so
he's slept!)

We gathered up the gold. I had thought we should again tie him up and
see if we could get him to work for us. Unfortunately that would mean
we'd need to let him keep his gold. I offered that there wasn't any
harm in trying, after all the last ogre hadn't lasted that long, and
there's always the chance he might refuse.

(DM - reaction 6, uncertain)

We woke the Ogre and made our offer. Unfortunately he didn't speak
Hobgoblin like the last, but I knew Ogre and made him our offer
including letting him keep his gold. That wasn't enough for him though.
I added the offer of food, he looked like he had a hearty appetite. He
didn't take that so well and turned red and growled at us trying to
stand up.

(DM - Hadn't used his free language, so I just let him choose Ogre. Also
rolled that he's Neutral, so Seven Dog could talk to him too. Rolled a 2
for reaction. I figure the PCs get a round of attacks as he tries to
break free, and he's got a 3 in 6 chance of breaking out, he rolls a 3
so breaks out. Without his armor [do they have armor?] he takes 3
hits. I rolled up his hp at 12, he takes 11 from those hits, and gets
11/12 of being subdued, which I rolled the subdued of course.)

We beat him nearly senseless just as he broke his bonds. He then
cowered before us. I told him he was going to work for us and for his
insolence we were keeping his coins, but gave him his armor back. He
didn't seem to know much except that there was a maze beyond his door.
We followed the right in the maze outside his door.

(DM - Elf spots secret door on a roll of 1. 2nd wandering monster check
gets one. level 1 centipedes again, rolled 8, 2 again. surprise 4 no,
distance 60', rear. Rear is through a door, so roll surprise for the
centipedes 1 yes. Elf attack 12, kills it. Halfling attack 11 kills the
other.)

Haron spotted a secret door, so we went through that, and two more doors
to the right. Suddenly the door which had closed itself behind us
opened to a pair of centipedes, they were just loitering there and Haron
struck one's head off, and Green stabbed the other pinning it to the
floor with his dagger.

We continued on and found ourselves back at the Ogre's den. It was
indeed a maze. I suggested taking the left from out the den instead
this time, and then following the right wall. That got us out of the
maze it appeared and eventually back to the corridor we'd come in from.
We decided to keep following the wall

(DM 2nd check another encounter: Giant Hogs a level 3 monster, which
also isn't in OD&D other than that listing. I guess I'll use Giant Boar
from MM. I'm still not sure I understand how many you're supposed to
encounter, but with 7 HD I'll use 1. Surprise 3 no, reaction 10 I think
that's friendly, even join party with +2 from Tzaramok, who's currently
leading)

A giant boar was sniffing around, I threw it some food and it started
following me. I mounted it and we continued. The passage was looking
familiar, but the last right turn we took and it started looking
different again. Hadruff warned us of a shifting wall ahead. I didn't
want to be trapped, so we spiked the wall, and kept going.

(DM 2nd Check another encounter. I'm thinking it's a bit much at normal
dungeon movement 1 in 6 chance every 120', and an extra one after every
5. The place is buzzing with activity. Spiders. Still no entry for
spiders. I decided to dig around and found this
http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2010/08/missing-monsters.html so AD&D MM
might not be so good. Apparently spiders and centipedes are probably
supposed to have 1 hp, what damage they do is questionable or even if
they use save or die poison, but I think I'll make them do 1 hp damage.
It looks like they appear in numbers around 5-6x normal monsters, So
say 2d6 doubled for party size. I rolled 13. Surprise 3 no. Behind.
reaction 3 they'll attack. distance 50' - actually looking at the map
for where they are they'll have to be right on the PCs, so melee.

Elf is in the back - I'd guess 7 could attack him, 4 on the floor a
couple on the wall next to him, and one dropping from above. 1 hit with
a 19 from 7 attacks, so he takes 1 damage. The other 6 attack, say 3
on the dwarf, 2 on the Halfling, and 1 on the M-U. 1 hits the Halfling
with an 18, and 1 the M-U with a 13. All had more than 1 hp, though the
M-U only 2 so he's half dead. Only the elf hit one with an 18, the
other 3 in melee missed.

Round 2. Monsters: all missed elf, 1 hit dwarf, others missed. PCs Elf,
Halfling and M-U hit one, leaving 5 on Elf, 3 on Dwarf, 1 on Halfling.

Round 3. Monsters all missed. Dwarf hits 1.

Round 4. 3 Hits on Elf, he dies at end of round (only had 3 hp). M-U
helps Elf and kills one, Dwarf Kills one. Elf Dies. 4 free, 1 on Dwarf
and Halfling.

Round 5. 4 free split up to have 1 on M-U, 2 on Halfling, and 3 on
Dwarf. [I maybe being too tactical here and should just roll randomly
each round, but this is quicker for me and the situation makes the
'front' pretty limited.] Dwarf takes 2 hits. M-U & Dwarf Hit

Round 6. Monsters all missed. M-U hits one. 2 on Dwarf & Halfling

Round 7. 1 on Dwarf Hits (still has 4 left, he started with 7). Dwarf
& Halfling hit. Whoops forgot morale before this, 6 - uncertain, might
as well finish this fight.

Round 8. Spiders both missed. Halfling hits one.

Round 9. Spider hits Dwarf, Dwarf kills it.

Ah geez, completely forgot the M-U was riding a giant boar! Oh well.

I'm not sure, but that might have been more deadly and longer than a
fight against a large spider in the MM.)

A swarm of hand-sized spiders came on us from behind, we fought long and
hard against them at last squashing the last, but Heron had gone down in
the fighting. With me feeling sick and woozy from a bite, and both our
small people feeling woozy too and having lost our Elf, we decided to
leave. Fortunately we made it out (3 checks to leave from there with no
encounter.)

We sold the Ogre as he was disagreeable and we'd had to subdue him
before, but I kept my giant boar mount.

- Justisaur
Justisaur
2017-04-27 21:35:02 UTC
Chapter 3

I'm going to switch over to Caverns of Thracia now, as I've read several
people say it's a great adventure, and at least one that it's the best
adventure ever written for any version of D&D. I'm a bit trepedatious
as the author notes there isn't much treasure in the module.

Notes from previous session:

I just realized there's a note that you can't exchange ability scores
below 9, so had to fix some of the ability scores, and xp.

I also realized I hadn't included the boar or the mule in the marching
order.

Tzaramok should've died, I screwed up tracking his hits, but I'm not
going to rewrite the last session, so off we go.

1)
Name: Nessee Woreos Class: Cleric
Strength: 3 Intelligence: 11(13) L+1 Wisdom: 9 (8)
Constitution: 8 WA:40% Dexterity: 11 Charisma: 8 MH:3
Hit Points (1) 3
Gold Pieces Experience AC: 2
141.2 0
Languages: Common, Lawful 3 others
Plate Mail 750# 50
Helmet 50# 10
Shield 150# 10
Mace 50# 5
Misc. 80# 76
(Leather Backpack 5, 6 torches 1, Silver Cross 25, wineskin 1, 50' Rope 1,
Holy Water 25, 3 steaks and mallet 3, 7d iron rations 15)
Total 1130# 6" move

2)
Name: Malkan Tome Class: Elf Current - Fighter
Strength: 8 XP-5% Intelligence: 9 (8) Wisdom: 11(13)
Constitution: 9 WA50% Dexterity: 10 Charisma: 16 MH6,LB+2
Hit Points (1+1 or 1) 6 or 5
Gold Pieces Experience AC: 2
133.3 0
[...]

Strength: 6 Intelligence: 11 L+1 Wisdom: 8
Constitution: 8 WA50% Dexterity: 9 Charisma: 16
MH6,LB+2
Hit Points (1) 2 Dam
Gold Pieces Experience AC: 9
239 792.125
Languages: Common, Chaotic & 1 other - Ogre
Equipment
Dagger 20# 3
Misc. 80# 46
(Leather Backpack 5, lantern 10, 3 flasks of oil 6, water skin 1, 6d
iron rations 15,
50' of rope 1, 10' pole 1, steel mirror 5, wooden cross 2)
Total 100# 12" move
Giant Boar: HD 7, HP 30

4)
Name: Hadruff Trow Class: Dwarf
Strength: 12 Intelligence: 7 Wisdom: 10
Constitution: 11 WA80% Dexterity: 7 M-1 Charisma: 11 MH4
Hit Points (1+1) 7
Gold Pieces Experience AC: 4
232 835.09
Dwarf: +4 levels on saves. Note slanting passages, traps, shifting walls
and new construction underground (Holmes: 1/3). 1/2 Dam from Ogres and
Giants (M&T) (Holmes 60' IV.)
Languages: Gnome, Kobold, Goblin, Dwarf, Common, Lawful
Equipment
Chain Armor 500# 30
Helmet 50# 10
Shield 150# 10
Dagger 20# 3
Misc. 80# 3
(Large Sack -#30, 6 torches)
Total 800# 9" move

5)
Name: Green Lief Class: Halfling
Strength: 9(7) Intelligence: 10(14) Wisdom: 11
Constitution: 11 WA80% Dexterity: 13 M+1 Charisma: 11 MH4
Hit Points (1+1) 6 Dam: 0
Gold Pieces Experience AC: 2
227.9 504.17
Halfling: +4 levels on saves, 'deadly accuracy with missiles'(Chainmail:
3 attacks per 2, Halflings with slings attack as if longbow. FMP: 2
attacks every other round with slings at longbow range, Holmes: +1 to
hit with missiles). 'Blend into the Background'? (FMP: N/A, Holmes:
'vanish into woods or undergrowth')
Languages: Common, Halfling, Lawful
Equipment
Plate Mail 750# 50
Helmet 50# 10
Shield 150# 10
Dagger 20# 3
Sling, 19 stones 20# 1
Misc. 80# 47
(small sack -#5, holy water, 7d iron rations, 6 torches, wineskin, 3
stakes & mallet, 10' pole)
Mule 43
(2+1 HD, AC , carries 10 Large Sacks -#30 ea & Small Sack can carry #350
in those)

Total 1070# 6" move

6)
Name: Seven Dog Class: Fighter
Strength: 8 XP -5% Intelligence: 8 Wisdom: 10
Constitution: 10 WA70% Dexterity: 9 Charisma: 6 MH2,LB-1
Hit Points (1+1) 5
Gold Pieces Experience AC: 2
242.9 504.17
Languages: Common, Neutral
1 attack per level vs. 1HD or lower creatures.
Equipment
Plate Mail 750# 50
Helmet 50# 10
Shield 150# 10
Spear 150# 1
Short Bow, Quiver & 20 Arrows 50# 35
Misc. 80# 106
(Large Sack -#30, leather backpack -#30, 6 torches, beledona,
wolvesbane, garlic, wineskin, 50' rope, wineskin, 7d iron rations, 2
holy water, 3 flasks of oil)
Total 1230# 6" move

Hall/search Order, strung out 10' each (only 1d6 with who's there.)
Fighting-Man Seven Dog (F)
Dwarf - Hadruff Trow (D)
Halfling - Green Lief (H)
With mule in tow
Magic-User Tzaramok Law (M)
On Giant Boar
Cleric - Nessee Woreos (C)
Elf - Malkan Tome (E)

Door Lisening (3d6, 1-2 hears on each):
HmE D
Mb C

Door Opening (3d6 1-2 opens on each):
F MbC
D Hm

Hall movement order
F D
Mb C
Hm E

Tzarmok: I continue the log. Once again we returned the bodies of the
fallen, their shares & equipment to their relatives and they've joined
us. One Nessee Woreos a cleric, so small and thin I mistook him for a
child to start. The Elf Malkan Tome, he had a ready smile, bright eyes
and a strong jaw for an elf. I'm surprised at their willingness to join
us since their relatives died of doing so, perhaps it's the large amount
of gold and equipment returned that convinces them it's worth the risk.
I admit I'm a bit wary myself. I think I survived only by some odd
twist of fate. Perhaps I'm blessed. I just pray my luck doesn't run out.

We found ourselves after this delivery close to Thracia, a backwards
island city-state, but rumours had it there were caverns below it with
humanoids and ancient treasures. As it was the closest bit of adventure
to be had we sailed there. It was a beautiful place, a bit warm and
bright for me, but the caverns would surely be less of both. We stopped
at the tavern and asked around, we got general directions to the old
'lost' city beneath which the caverns are, and a couple rumours. The
laughing skulls have treasure, and there's a underground castle where
the sun shines and a garden thrives.

(DM not sure what direction we approach from, so roll a d12 for clock
directions, we approach from 1 o'clock)

After exhausting hours of hacking through jungle we came out on the
roofless ruin of a stone building. We followed the wall around
clockwise and found more remnants of a street covered in grass, which
was swallowed by jungle on one end and swamp on another. We saw a hill
across the street with what looked to be only the foundation of a
building. We decided to investigate this building first. We poked
around finding a stone tablet written in dwarvish runes that indicate a
secret entrance in a building of black stone. The one to the south
wasn't of black stone, but we examined it as well.

(DM automatically attacked by lizard man patrol with darts - I'll go
with 6" medium range, so +1 to hit, and looks like I need to see if the
party is surprised 1 yes. 8 targets so roll d8 for each after attacks.
3, 3, 1, 11, 5, 19. for the 11 vs. #6 (M-U) 19 vs. #7 (Boar) 6 dam to
M-U - dead, and 4 to Boar (26 left), rolled morale 10, good).

Hadruff: I Hadruff Trow, last of the founders of Lucky's Looters take up
this log to record our history. While checking the ruins, spears came
from the swamp, we did not see our attackers, and Tzarmok our Magic-User
had died from one before he even knew what hit him. Us dwarves having
trained boars to ride took the reigns of the beast. I mounted it ahead
of Tzarmok, and led us back into the jungle to get away from what had
killed him. We waited in the cover of the trees, but no sign of them
was to appear. We left when the sun started to get low, returning to
The Sea Hag's Porthole, the tavern we had stayed at before. We tracked
down his younger sister, a Uva Law and returned his possessions,
including the boar.

(Name: Uva Law Class: Magic-User
Strength: 9 Intelligence: 14 L+1 +5%xp Wisdom: 8
Constitution: 12 WA90% Dexterity: 8 M-1 Charisma: 12 MH4
Hit Points (HD:1) 4; Dam: 0
Gold Pieces Experience AC: 9
240.1 0
Languages: Common, Chaotic & 4 others
Equipment
Dagger 20# 3
Misc. 80# 46
(Leather Backpack 5, lantern 10, 3 flasks of oil 6, water skin 1, 6d
iron rations 15,
50' of rope 1, 10' pole 1, steel mirror 5, wooden cross 2)
Total 100# 12" move
Giant Boar Mount: AC 6, HD 7, HP 30, loyalty 10,

Better HP and Int, worse Cha.)

She signed on to Lucky's Looters and we returned to Thracia. In the
Porthole we asked again about the Caverns, and told the story of our
attack, No one knew what might have attacked us, but there was a
collector willing to buy any artefacts of Old Thracia for as much as a
couple hundred gold if it were interesting and undamaged.

The next day we whent to the buildings in the jungle, avoiding the area
we'd been attacked. Continuing our general direction going further
through the jungle led us to the ruin of a larger building up a ten foot
slope. Wide stairs went down. As we descended into the darkness Seven
lit a torch and Uva her lantern. We went down a hundred feet coming to
a large hall filled with bat guano and bats on the ceiling. A hall
continued ahead filled with more guano, but a hall led to the right that
seemed to be free of it, following my grandfather's advice we took that
direction.

(DM rolled encounter, encounters in this area are with an incarnation of
death, who can only be seen by those of 3 or less HP)

The conversaion as follows took place there:

Nessee: "Um... Aren't you going to stop?"

Seven: (stopping) "Huh? What's up?

Nessee: "Don't you see him?" (pointing ahead)

Chorous "Who? What? I don't see anything?"

Nessee: "There's a man in a black robe ahead."

A chorous of questions "What's he doing, what's he look like?"

Nessee: "He's standing there, he looks sad. He's gesturing for us to
come forward, and opening his arms in greeting."

Me: "What does he want? Try talking to him."

Nessie: (nervously goes toward him) "Hello! Uhm, I'm Nessie, Cleric of
Netpune, I mean Neptune. What do you want?"
"I don't need a hug, thanks though. Do you know where the treasure is?"

Uva: (whispering) "What's he saying?"

Nessie: (near whispering) "He's not saying anything. He's beckoning us
forward. He... He doesn't seem upset or anything, he's moving calmly."

After a bit of asking if anyone had anyway to detect evil or intent and
no one had a way to do so, we followed him cautiously. Where he pointed
at a section of wall according to Nessie.

Nessie: "Treasure is through there?... he's showing his palms up."

After searching the area we found there was a door that'd been plastered
over, I chipped it away. There was an inscription on it.

(Rolled more Tavern table for everyone else in case someone had
Thracian. Was supposed to do this before but hadn't bothered. Nessee
gets 65% Tribesmen language, Malkon gets nothing, Hadruff gets Beast Men
are enslaving humans, Green gets 30% modern Thracian & evil sword buried
with dead king, Seven nothing, Uva got the Collector already, and the
orginal ones mentioned were from Tzarmok. Rolled 30% for Green to reed
and failed)

Green: "The inscription is old Thracian, unfortunately it's not
something I can read."

No one else even knew that much.

Seven: "Should we open it?"

Me: "It could be a trap."

Nessee: "I am one with Neptune, I'm sure I must be the only one seeing
this man as a sign. Lets go in!"

Seven shrugged and opened the door, a dark hal was ahead and as he
entered his torch dimmed considerably, he stopped and turned back to us
looking right through us and said "Hello? Where'd you go? Hello?"

Nessee said "We're right behind you!"

He again said "Hello!" He turned and walked ahead cautiously

(Seven' perspective: his torch dimmed so he stopped, turned and saw only
a hall which hadn't been there before, he didn't turn but tried to go
back the way he came.)

We followed a bit closer due to the dimness. He stopped and turned
again saying "There you are! Where'd you go?"

"We were right behind you" Nessee said.

"There was no one behind me, only the hall that went back, I turned and
was going back the way I came, but the door wasn't there."

We all looked back and saw only a dark passage.

He said "I don't like this, I feel like I'm in a trap."

I poked around for anything, but didn't find any.

"Let's go back" he said, we turned and went back the way we came, but it
was just hallway.

Uva said "How about our new friend, is he still here?"

Nessee: "Yes, he's just ahead leading us on."

Seven said "Ugh, we should go the other way then! He's leading us into
a trap."

Nessee: "No he wouldn't do that!"

The consensus was to go the other way. We turned again, it was reported
he was behind us, following. We continued and shortly thereafter saw a
green glow ahead and some sickly sweet smell like that of a long dead
animal. The passage opened to a room with black drapes over the walls,
black stone benches with black robed figures siting upon them staring to
the opposite side of the room while each corner held a bowl from which
the green glow emerged with wisps of black smoke rising slowly from them.

Malkon said "This doesn't look very wholesome."

Nessee said "Where's the treasure?"... "He waved his arms around and
seems to still want a hug."

Seven "If you think he's from your god, you should give him one!" he
said sharply.

Seven said "What's with these people?" seeing they haven't moved in the
least. He poked the one nearest saying "Hey!" it collapsed into dust,
something metallic bounced off the floor. He brought up a fine silver
chain with a silver skull hanging from it hanging from the tip of his sword.

Malkan said "Some sort of death god symbol?"

Nessee said "The only one I know associated with a skull is Orcus."

The mere mention of the demon lord of undead sent a shiver down my spine
"It's not wise to mention such names." I said.

Nessee "Well, the man isn't Orcus. You aren't a worshipper of Orcus are
you?" ... "He shook his head no."

Seven said, "This is some treasure at least, we can always melt them
down if the collector doesn't want them." He went around to the other
side of the room "They're all dead I think."

(Saves vs. Poison. Seven 6f - 4t, Hadruff 6f - 6t, Green 19s, Mule 9f -
4t, Uva 13s, Boar 15s, Nessee 14s, Malkan 9f - 1t)

"Jupiter's Beard!" Seven called pointing to Malkan. He was slumped on
the floor.

Nessee checked him "He's alive, I don't see any wounds."

I grabbed the Elf by the shoulders and shook him, yelling to come out of
it, but he didn't respond. We tossed him on the mule.

Meanwhile Seven had taken another silver skull pendant, with it's owner
collapsing to dust.

I said "We need to get out of here before whatever happened to Malkan
happens to us."

Uva said "Probably the smoke, it smells like death." she went over to
look at the green flames, and collapsed slowly to the floor.

(DM: failed save for directly over it with a 1)

I said in dwarvish. "Moradin save us!" Fortunately she was already on
the boar. I mounted it. "Check behind the drapes!" I said.

We started ripping the drapes down and found scenes of death painted on
the plaster of walls behind them, also two doors, one with a skull with
glowing red eyes that spoke when uncovered "ENTER! JOIN ME IN THE
RAPTURE OF THANATOS! BECOME ONE WITH BLESSED DEATH! WITH YOUR LAST
BREATH ENLIGHTENMENT COMES."

The left door was stone bound in iron with a keyhole and wouldn't budge
either. We returned the way we came, but Seven and the Mule with Malkan
collapsed while in the hall. We had no choice but to leave the mule, We
drapped Sven and Malkar across the boar and I led it, but at the other
end of the hall we came out again into the same room...

Green Leif - I had to take over the log at this point as even Hadruff
collapsed leaving only I, Nessee and the boar still moving.

I left the boar and Nessee in the hall for now, and started to search
around for secret doors. Malkar recovered while I was searching, he
yawned and woke. Nessee explained what had happened while he was out.
Malkar joined me in searching the room for secret doors around the
opposite direction starting from the opposite wall as the hall. By the
time we had searched half the room Seven had come around.

Seven said "How about we chop through that skull door? Doesn't seem
like we're going anywhere, and there might not be a secret door at all."

"How about you do that and we keep looking?" I said.

(DM: some searching seems to be 10 men take a turn to do that, so that'd
be 10 turns for 1 man... Getting long and I'm getting too busy to
continue any time soon so posting this. Seems like I'm headed for a TPK
too)

- Justisaur
Justisaur
2017-04-28 22:02:14 UTC
On 4/27/2017 2:35 PM, Justisaur wrote:
Chapter 4

Caverns of Thracia is certainly more interesting, but I think I'm headed
for an inevitable TPK at this point. I actually thought that as soon as
the initial lizard man dart ambush. As the encounter seems overwhelming
for our party, I'm wondering if I should cut the monster's numbers down
by 1/3 as OD&D expects a party of 20, as I did with the Ogre encounter
in the sample dungeon. We'll see if I can pull it out.

I probably should've had the Wight follow/attack when they tried to
leave, but I wasn't sure if that counted as leaving as the hall isn't an
exit.

I'm not sure if I should be checking every round/turn or whenever for
the sleep smoke to get them again, or maybe it's only when they enter
initially or get right over the green flames. It does day 'when they
enter the room' so I'll stick with them being no longer affected.

I'll also note I've made some minor changes to things said or inscripted
and descriptions mainly to avoid possible copyright issues, as well as
infuse a bit of my own creativity.

[...]

Magic-User Uva Law (M)
On Giant Boar (b)
Cleric - Nessee Woreos (C)
Elf - Malkan Tome (E)

Door Lisening (3d6, 1-2 hears on each):
HmE D
Mb C

Door Opening (3d6 1-2 opens on each):
F MbC
D Hm

Hall movement order
F D
Mb C
Hm E

Eventually everyone had come around including my mule. All were
searching the walls other than Seven who was making a racket chopping at
the wood door with a sword borrowed from Malkan. No one had thought to
bring an axe. Next time, if there were a next time. Nessee watched
from the hall. The man in black only he could see still waited he said.

Malkan "I found something!"

Just as Seven had finally knocked the door down. He said "Just a hallway."

Hadruff said "Check what Malkan found, my grandfather always said secret
doors are the best to check first."

Malkan said "Nessee, bring the animals over to the other hall and keep
watch that way. I feel something a bit colder over here, perhaps it's
plastered over as was the door that led us here."

After chipping the plaster off there indeed was a door behind it.
Unfortunately it too had a lock and seemed to be locked. We'd been here
a couple hours and all Malkan's pounding hadn't attracted anything, so
we went to work on this door, chopping around the lock. Soon we had it
open. It led to another hallway going away from the door.

Malkan "Light up your lantern." to Uva "Let's check this out."

We proceeded down the hall.

(DM: Roll reaction for Curate: 3 Seven dog is in front and gives a -1 so
the Curate attacks with a reaction of 2. Rolling surprise, 1 party
surprised, even with the light I think there's some chance of surprising
the curate as he's been in suspended animation. 6 nope. reduced
skeletons to 2 for that 1/3 size of party, but leaving curate alone)

As we went down the hall I recognized someone shouting in Thracian
"Defend me!" A couple skeletons in close formation rushed Seven Dog.
Then I heard chanting from ahead followed by becoming blind.

(DM: skeletons attack Seven Dog 10, 4, both miss, Curate casts Darkness
(reversed Light) on one of the skeletons. Roll morale for mule: 11,
Boar 8 fine)

Nessee shouted "It's darkness, I see it, I don't have any way to combat
it or those skeletons as they won't see my holy symbol! Get out of
there." I and Uva backed out and we could see the wall of darkness
ahead of us, I had no idea how to combat that either, but Uva cast a
spell and cancelled it, I could see Seven dead before us, the skeletons
advanced.

(DM: 1st round Curate casts protection from good. Skeletons can see in
dark being monsters I guess, and attack Seven Dog 14, 20, 6 dam, he's
dead. Uva casts Light, which I assume will cancel Darkness. )

Hadruff, Malkan and I took the front against the skeletons, though we
chipped their bones, they stood, how I could not discern, as their bones
just hung in the air. They both attacked Hadruff as he was first there,
but his armor saved him. Then I felt and icy hand around my heart and
froze in place, so to did Hadruff beside me, Malkan fought on! Nessee
called out to Neptune and the skeletons turned tail and fled!

(DM: Curate casts hold person, rolled 4 for number, saves: Hadruff 4f,
Green 6f, Uva 9f, Nessee 16s. Nessee turns undead 7, both skeletons
turned. Skeletons attack Hadruff: 13, 7 both miss. Hadruff 17 3 dam, 2
left to skeleton, Green 15 5 dam to 2nd skeleton 2 left, Malkan 8 mis.
Uva prepares oil to throw)

The man in black robe with another silver skull pendant held it up
chanting, I felt a brief change in pressure, Nessee and Malkan charged
the man and surrounded him, he dodged their rushed attacks far too
easily. I and Hadruff remained frozen in place, I heard nothing from Uva.

(DM: Curate casts Silence on Nessee - 15s, Malkan 4 & Nessee 4 attack &
Miss Curate.)

The men and elf battled on before us, none having a decisive hit.

(DM: Curate attacks Nessee 9m, Malkan 2m & Nessee 11m attack Curate.
Wight takes the opportunity to kill Uva with a level drain while the
others are out of range, frozen and otherwise engaged. I probably
wouldn't do this if running for other people, but that seems to be the
set-up.

DM: Curate attacks Nessee 3m, Malkan 17 3 dam 15 left & Nessee 1m attack
Curate. Wight takes the opportunity to kill Green with a level drain
while the others are out of range, frozen and otherwise engaged.
Narrator dead and probably so will the others be, so just continuing
from DM side.

DM: Curate attacks Nessee 12m, Malkan 10m Nessee 14m attack Curate.
Wight takes the opportunity to kill Hadruff with a level drain while the
others are out of range, frozen and otherwise engaged. Narrator dead
and probably so will the others be, so just continuing from DM side.

DM: Wight backs off to his original location, he'll take on the winner
if there is one with his sneak attacks. All miss. Round 9 - all miss.
r10 Curate rolls 16 needs a 10 (I think) does 3 dam to Hadruff 4 left.
PCs miss.

DM: r11 Curate rolls 13 hits, does 6, kills Hadruff. Hadruff 2m, Nessee
rolls 14 (I think exactly what's needed to hit chain) 6 dam, 9 left.

DM: r12 thinking of Having Nessee run, he's in plate though, and Curate
is only in chain so won't get away, so has to fight to the bitter end.
Could try offering surrender, but I don't see he would surrender to an
evil priest, so... Curate rolls 14 (needs 12 for plate & shield) does 2
dam, 1 left. Nessee 17h 1 dam 8 left.

DM: r13 both miss. Nessee prays to Neptune to save him (rolled a d100
for fun 53, nope)

DM: r14 Curate 12h kills Nessee. TPK.