WOTC and TSR sign letter of intent
t***@yahoo.com
2018-03-06 08:57:54 UTC
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Steven Kam David Emanuel
Wizards of the Coast, Inc. Ketchum Public Relations
(206) 204-7695 (415) 984-6236
WIZARDS OF THE COAST TO ACQUIRE TSR INC.
April 10, 1997 (Renton, Wash.) -- Wizards of the Coast Inc. and TSR Inc.,
the two leaders of the adventure gaming industry, announced today that a
letter of intent has been signed by both parties for Wizards of the Coast
to acquire TSR Inc. The transaction is expected to be completed in May,
1997.
Wizards of the Coast is the publisher of the world's best-selling trading
card game, Magic: The Gathering(R). Lake Geneva, Wis.-based TSR Inc. is
the publisher of the world-renowned adventure game Dungeons & Dragons(R).
Founded 22 years ago in 1975, TSR Inc. rose to a market leadership position
that endures today with the introduction of Dungeons and Dragons. The
internationally famous game further generated a wide variety of
best-selling adventure and roleplaying games and merchandise, including the
New York Times' best-selling book series, Dragonlance. The game Dungeons
and Dragons was featured in an early scene of the 1982 Steven Spielberg hit
movie, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial.
"TSR Inc. is the pioneer of adventure games and carries an important
industry legacy," said Peter D. Adkison, president and CEO of Wizards of
the Coast. "We look forward to drawing on TSRąs worldwide reputation and
established lines of popular games to complement our current business."
Lorraine Williams, president and CEO of TSR Inc., added, "The synergies
that already exist between Wizards of the Coast and TSR ensure a solid home
and future for the vast library of intellectual property which TSR has
created, and for its creative community."
Wizards of the Coast is a leading developer and publisher of entertainment
products, including Magic: The Gathering. Since the game was released in
1993, over two billion cards have been sold, and the game is available in
nine languages. Other products published by the company include the
trading card game BattleTech(R) and the soon-to-be-released card game
Corporate Shuffle(TM), based on the popular comic character DILBERT(TM).
The company is headquartered just outside of Seattle, Washington in the
city of Renton, and has international offices in the United Kingdom,
Belgium and France. For more information on Wizards of the Coast, visit
the company's website at <http://www.wizards.com>.
Copyright 1997 Wizards of the Coast Inc. All rights reserved. WIZARDS OF
THE COAST, Magic: The Gathering, and Corporate Shuffle are trademarks of
Wizards of the Coast Inc. Dungeons & Dragons is a registered trademark of
TSR Inc. BattleTech is a registered trademark of FASA. The BattleTech
universe is owned by FASA Corporation and used under license. DILBERT (C)
United Feature Syndicate Inc.
--
Wizards of the Coast, Inc. http://www.wizards.com
In hindsight, this was the end of D&D as we knew it. :(
Spalls Hurgenson
2018-03-06 14:39:18 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WIZARDS OF THE COAST TO ACQUIRE TSR INC.
In hindsight, this was the end of D&D as we knew it. :(
Of course, without the merger, D&D would have ended even more quickly.
Everything I have read indicates TSR had *terrible* business
practices; there is a reason that Wizards was able to acquire them.

And let us be honest; it was hardly the end of D&D. Even though they
weren't to my liking, 3rd edition and d20 were amazingly popular, and
they helped revitalize not only the D&D brand but the role-playing
hobby. While not entirely their doing, under the auspices of Wizards
D&D and role-playing came back out of the shadows, no longer a hobby
for the introvert nerd.

Of course, Wizards certainly had a different business and creative
style. TSR's was an amazing creative powerhouse and - even if their
rules or settings weren't always the best thought out, the sheer
volume of material coming out of their offices meant that there wasn't
a year gone by where they didn't release at least one or two memorable
rulebook, sourcebook or adventure module. D&D during Wizard's tenure
was far more focused and streamlined; quality, not quantity was the
goal. Of course, sometimes they didn't even manage the former and
without the latter this lack was all the more noticable. In that
regard, yes, D&D "as we knew it" was dead.

But that didn't mean the replacement wasn't a worthy successor. All
the more so since many of the developers who once worked at TSR went
out to write for other companies or work independently, and while the
number of "official" settings and adventures may have declined, this
was more than made up for by third-party material.

Sadly, it is 5E that seems to have been the real tipping point for
D&D. Wizards - or more likely, Hasbro - does not seem to be invested
in the brand. This is odd since there does seem to be a demand,
judging by the amount of third-party material published under their
"DMs Guild" imprint. It's been four years since release and we've only
been given a few handfuls of official books; a trickle compared to 3rd
or 4th edition. Of course, the market itself has changed - with
digital editions and virtual table-top gaining prominence - but this
has not hampered its competitors. The lack of releases from
Wizards/Hasbro seems a neglectful abandonment in comparison. I expect
there will still be a 6th Edition but unless there is a significant
change I have my doubts that there will ever be a 7th.

Myself, I am not too worried. I have no need for all these "new
fangled editions" and am quite happy staying with the rules published
by TSR. D&D may change, evolve or even - as a business - disappear
entirely but so long as the players remain interested it won't ever
die.
Justisaur
2018-03-11 03:18:10 UTC
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Post by t***@yahoo.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[...]
Actually that was more with the 'failure' of 4e. I think they spent a
lot promoting it, but people liked 3.5 just fine, so jumped ship to PF,
and 4e was also a pretty poor PnP rpg, it's a bit better as a computer game.

They're being much more careful with 5e, they're keeping things going
slowly on purpose, reduces costs after all.

I've read some info that they make far more licensing D&D as a brand for
computer games etc. than they do from the product itself. In any case
it's a tiny tiny product even for WotC who started Magic: the Gathering,
their flagship.
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
[...]
They plan to keep 5e going for as long as they can keep interest, and
just very slowly let products out.

- Justisaur

Ninapenda Jibini
2018-03-07 03:51:02 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
In hindsight, this was the end of D&D as we knew it. :(
D&D as you knew it was at least two "the end of D&D as I knew it"
past "D&D as I knew it."

Life is change. Get over it. And nobody's stopping you from playing
the little digest books if that's your thing.
--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2018-03-08 03:50:41 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
[...]
Actually, it was when D&D finally became the game it could have been
with 3E. When it hit the bestseller lists and actually WORKED without
having to have three notebooks full of house rules.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\