Is the Fighter Class a supercherie ? Hit points ans Combat mode
uglyvan
2007-07-22 14:11:44 UTC
here's the topic:
your character is composed of body points, which are taken off when
you suffer critical hits, and you have not much of body points; you
can improve your total by proving yourself a true sports champion.

you can use a substitute of body points called hit points whenever you
enter combat mode.
you can enter combat mode volontarily.
combat mode is a strenuous activity, so you cannot normally always
stay in combat mode.
your AC raises in combat mode, and you gain feats derived from the
fighter class as well.

BUT a character taken by surprise under non-combat mode has no defense
like those given by combat mode and can be easily defeated.
so how can we define combat mode?

it is viewed as a concentrative ability, based on sharpened senses,
with a limited duration in rounds like a haste spell (or perhaps
constitution rounds), and usable your level times per day, so you
won't necessarily enter combat mode in each and every fight; sometimes
you let the friends take up the fight.

my main reflexion with the idea of combat mode as a simple spell which
empowers you (temporarily) to the class of Fighter is to permit spells
of combat for the magician; if we could "recreate" the fighter class
under a spell class, that would let us simplify the system enormously!

is there already a topic based on this kind of idea that I could draw
hints from ?
Shawn Roske
2007-07-22 16:06:00 UTC
Post by uglyvan
[...]
You could just play Paladium. Robotech and TMNT by the same company also
had Structural Damage Capacity and Mega Damage Capacity. Doesn't GURPS
have something like this too?
The Rev. Dr. Lt. Chaos Israel
2007-07-22 19:19:44 UTC
Post by Shawn Roske
You could just play Paladium. Robotech and TMNT by the same company also
had Structural Damage Capacity and Mega Damage Capacity. Doesn't GURPS
have something like this too?
Not quite. It's just that things like main battle tanks and high-tech
body armors have hundreds or even thousands of points of damage
resistance.

Seems realistic to me, but some people have trouble with numbers that
large...

C.
c***@yahoo.com
2007-07-22 20:41:39 UTC
On Jul 22, 2:19 pm, "The Rev. Dr. Lt. Chaos Israel"
Post by The Rev. Dr. Lt. Chaos Israel
Post by Shawn Roske
You could just play Paladium. Robotech and TMNT by the same company also
had Structural Damage Capacity and Mega Damage Capacity. Doesn't GURPS
have something like this too?
Not quite. It's just that things like main battle tanks and high-tech
body armors have hundreds or even thousands of points of damage
resistance.
GURPS did use cDam, cDR and cHP for starships late in the 3e run, but
these were easily convertable to the regular scale by multiplying by
100.

Brandon
Matt Frisch
2007-07-22 20:40:03 UTC
Post by Shawn Roske
Post by uglyvan
[...]
The concepts behind SDC and MDC are sound, but the implementation is
horrendous, like almost all Palladium game mechanics.

I prefer the one that R. Talsorian uses in their Mekton game, Hits vs
Kills.
uglyvan