[SR] Alternative ShadowRun Ruleset?
Ubiquitous
2018-02-14 23:07:11 UTC
Has anyone tried to run a Shadowrun game using Starfinder and
Pathfinder rules? If you cut out all the high tech weapons and space
rules is it doable? I love the Shadowrun world but I hate the rules.
I remember not being impressed by the d20 version of ShadowRun. I don't
imagine this will be better.
--
"I beg you, look for the words “social justice” or “economic
justice” on your church website. If you find it, run as fast as you
-- Glenn Beck
Mattew Henry
2018-02-12 13:12:30 UTC
Has anyone tried to run a Shadowrun game using Starfinder and
Pathfinder rules? If you cut out all the high tech weapons and space
rules is it doable? I love the Shadowrun world but I hate the rules.
Huh. That's an interesting thought.
It's probably pretty doable, if you re-skin everything to fit the themes of
Shadowrun instead of a high-fantasy/sci-fi game.
Thinking about it, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Might have to homebrew a
lot
of cyberware and such, though.
However, you could play Anarchy instead, which is a rules lite Shadowrun.
Benjamin Gear
2018-02-12 01:12:30 UTC
***@zeus.eonet.ne.jp wrote:

<<Has anyone tried to run a Shadowrun game using Starfinder and
Pathfinder rules? If you cut out all the high tech weapons and space
rules is it doable? I love the Shadowrun world but I hate the rules.>>

There's a lot of reasons why D20 just doesn't fit with Shadowrun. The
probability curves are completely different and it'd be a nightmare to
adapt every number and test. They're just really incompatible.

But apart from numbers it's a major feel thing. D20 feels like the hand
of fate being modified by godly abilities. It's why it suits your
traditional high fantasy settings with super-powered characters.

The SR dice system is about your every bit of skill being brought
together to overcome a challenge. I've never understood the complaint
of "too many dice!" (I really think it's not a real issue anyone has,
just one they're taught to have.) It suits being a scrappy underdog in
a deadly world. You feel week if you're rolling few dice. You feel
strong when you're rolling fistfuls.
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-02-14 22:30:45 UTC
Post by Benjamin Gear
[...]
Personally, I feel bored when everyone else is *counting* fistfulls
of dice. (Hero is prone to that, too.)
--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland: