Spell Ideas, Weapon Question
Ralph Glatt
2018-02-28 17:44:28 UTC
First, the spells - I used to have some of those "Choose Your Fate" books (the Sorcery! series, in fact) and it included two spells I'd like to add to my D&D game. They deal with teeth - the caster throws down some goblin teeth (or a giant's tooth) and then the type of creature you got the teeth from appears and fights for you. Kinda like a specific monster summoning spell. What I need to know is what level these spells should be.(or should I just make the teeth into magic items, like Quals Feather Tokens)

The weapons question is about the Lucerne Hammer. I had a player who had a dwarf who used one as his primary weapon. Recently, I found out it is a polearm, something I think a dwarf might not be able to use. He asked if I could just let him cut it down into a one-on-one weapon (like an axe) and have it do lesser damage. (mind you, this is a 1st level character, and I'm not too keen on giving a weapon that still does a lot of damage to him.) Thoughts? Ideas?
Spalls Hurgenson
2018-03-01 14:57:45 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 09:44:28 -0800 (PST), Ralph Glatt
Post by Ralph Glatt
The weapons question is about the Lucerne Hammer. I had a player
who had a dwarf who used one as his primary weapon. Recently, I
found out it is a polearm, something I think a dwarf might not be
able to use. He asked if I could just let him cut it down into a
one-on-one weapon (like an axe) and have it do lesser damage.
(mind you, this is a 1st level character, and I'm not too keen on
giving a weapon that still does a lot of damage to him.)
Thoughts? Ideas?
Couldn't it just be a dwarf-sized pole-arm? There's no real reason the
stout-folk couldn't use pole-arms; they'd just have problems with
human-sized weapons. Although I suppose that depends on how stout
dwarves are in your campaign; if they regularly reach five-feet in
height, human weapons wouldn't present that much of a difficulty for
them.

An average Lucerne Hammer was 7 feet long (not being a Gygax, I had to
look that information up on Wikipedia). If you feel this is too
unwieldy for the beared bastard in question, have him use a dwarven
Lucern; a dwarf Lucerne Hammer might only be five feet, with a
slightly smaller head. Reduce the range slightly, maybe tag it with a
-1 to damage and call it a day. Now it's a suitable weapon for
dwarves, gnomes, halflings, and the various goblinkin. Big-folk suffer
a -1 to use. Of course, he'd have to get any replacements from the
Short-n-Stout weapons shoppe rather than the regular armory in the
mall.

If he insisted on using a human-sized Lucern despite it being unsuited
for a personage of his stature, allow it but with penalties to-hit,
initiative and damage (with numbers as you see fit based on the size
of the dwarf and the particulars of whatever rules edition you use). I
always prefer to allow a player to do something (with penalties)
rather than forbid it outright. *

* funny story. I once had a player leap off a cliff (he was being
chased) and say he was going to flap his arms and fly. Rules - and
common sense - said, no way, ain't gonna happen but I said okay, it'll
work on a 1 on d100. Of course, he made the roll. I ruled that a
combination of his billowy clothing, a lucky gust of wind (possibly
divinely inspired) and, yes, the frantic flapping of his arms, allowed
him to make a more gradual and controlled descent than might otherwise
have been expected. He made it to another ledge several hundred feet
away. Just saying no to the idiotic things the players insist upon
never results in such memorable experiences.
Justisaur
2018-03-02 22:50:33 UTC
Post by Ralph Glatt
[...]
I think if a human can manage a 25' long pike (and they can) a dwarf could manage lucerne hammer.

- Justisaur
Ralph Glatt
Would a character still be able to use a polearm in a dungeon setting?
JimP
2018-03-03 16:42:54 UTC
On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 06:45:12 -0800 (PST), Ralph Glatt
Post by Ralph Glatt
Post by Justisaur
Post by Ralph Glatt
[...]
Depends on corridor/passageway width. May not be able to get it around
corners.
Paul Colquhoun
2018-03-04 07:09:51 UTC
On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 10:42:54 -0600, JimP <***@gmail.com> wrote:
| On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 06:45:12 -0800 (PST), Ralph Glatt
| <***@gmail.com> wrote:

|>> I think if a human can manage a 25' long pike (and they can) a dwarf could manage lucerne hammer.
|>>
|>> - Justisaur
|>
|>Would a character still be able to use a polearm in a dungeon setting?
|
| Depends on corridor/passageway width. May not be able to get it around
| corners.

Custom made item. Polearm with either an extensible "pole" section, or
made in several sections that lock together. Takes 2 rounds to assemble
in a combat situation (at least, maybe taking damage extends that) so
always try and assemble it before combat starts...
--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
h***@gmail.com
I'm told there was a convention in Australia which gave 10' poles out as prizes, virtually nobody could get them home...
JimP
2018-03-05 19:57:20 UTC
Post by Ralph Glatt
Post by Justisaur
Post by Ralph Glatt
[...]
Well, there ya go. Thats the problem. No room in the vehicle.

h***@gmail.com
2018-03-03 12:37:30 UTC
Post by Ralph Glatt
First, the spells - I used to have some of those "Choose Your Fate" books (the Sorcery! series, in fact) and it included two spells I'd like to add to my D&D game. They deal with teeth - the caster throws down some goblin teeth (or a giant's tooth) and then the type of creature you got the teeth from appears and fights for you. Kinda like a specific monster summoning spell. What I need to know is what level these spells should be.(or should I just make the teeth into magic items, like Quals Feather Tokens)
I'd probably do it as a magic item rather than a spell.
If you were going for a spell Goblin would be level 1

Frostburn (3.5) had the spell Summon Giants
http://molivero.com/dndtools/USRD/srd/magic/spells/spells/spellsfrost.html#SUMMON%20GIANTS

Pathfinder has various giants as options in the summon nature's ally series of spells starting with a hill giant at level 6 you can check them out at
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-natures-ally/
Dwarves are medium sized creatures, they can use any weapon that a human can.
Ralph Glatt
2018-03-03 14:48:08 UTC
Post by Ralph Glatt
The weapons question is about the Lucerne Hammer. I had a player who had a dwarf who used one as his primary weapon. Recently, I found out it is a polearm, something I think a dwarf might not be able to use. He asked if I could just let him cut it down into a one-on-one weapon (like an axe) and have it do lesser damage. (mind you, this is a 1st level character, and I'm not too keen on giving a weapon that still does a lot of damage to him.) Thoughts? Ideas?
Dwarves are medium sized creatures, they can use any weapon that a human can.
Magic item sounds easier, so I think I'll go that route. Incidentally, my group is playing a mix of Castles and Crusades with some material from BFRPG.