Levelled weapons
Doyle
2003-11-25 14:54:07 UTC
There was an article in Dragon magazine a couple of months/years back
about the concept of levelled weapons. The idea is that it is a weapon
that grows with the wielder. Does anyone have a reference on that
article? Would it be improper for someone to post the gist of the
article?

Thanks,

mypetrock
GI Hoe
2003-11-25 20:27:54 UTC
Yeah, I use those rules. Basically, +1 is free. At level 5, 7, 9,
etc... you can "buy" a further +1 by spending exp. Total exp for
"first" power (the advance to +2 at 5th level) is 1600, then +3 is
3200, then I think it's 1600 more each. I'll go check. I don't have
the stuff in front of me.

I loved this method at low levels. It was cool and I could give out
really neat swords with stories and they had to grow into them. They
really hated rust monters too! All those precious exp.

Problem: by retarding exp acquisition, the party stayed at any given
level for longer and had more adventures therefore aquiring more
stuff. Now they are way overpowered with stuff for their level.

Sure, you can get around this by having opponents with nothing, but...
mypetrock
Jlerpy
2003-11-27 00:07:13 UTC
Post by GI Hoe
Yeah, I use those rules. Basically, +1 is free. At level 5, 7, 9,
etc... you can "buy" a further +1 by spending exp. Total exp for
"first" power (the advance to +2 at 5th level) is 1600, then +3 is
3200, then I think it's 1600 more each. I'll go check. I don't have
the stuff in front of me.
I loved this method at low levels. It was cool and I could give out
really neat swords with stories and they had to grow into them. They
really hated rust monters too! All those precious exp.
Problem: by retarding exp acquisition, the party stayed at any given
level for longer and had more adventures therefore aquiring more
stuff. Now they are way overpowered with stuff for their level.
Sure, you can get around this by having opponents with nothing, but...
Or you can do this for all non-plot magic items. Save nations and
perform other daring deeds in a suit of armour and it becomes magical.
I find this works well for personalising people's equipment and cuts
down on buying magic items in shops (which is frequently silly) and
raiding people for theirs.
This really works well if you have them as personal magic items, not
terribly useful to other people. This stops people from spending XP on
making items, then selling them off, rinsing and repeating.
Arivne
2003-11-26 09:10:27 UTC
Post by Doyle
There was an article in Dragon magazine a couple of months/years back
about the concept of levelled weapons. The idea is that it is a weapon
that grows with the wielder. Does anyone have a reference on that
article? Would it be improper for someone to post the gist of the
article?
It's in Dragon #289 (November 2001).

Arivne
T. Koivula
2003-12-01 16:32:03 UTC
Post by Doyle
There was an article in Dragon magazine a couple of months/years back
about the concept of levelled weapons. The idea is that it is a weapon
that grows with the wielder. Does anyone have a reference on that
article? Would it be improper for someone to post the gist of the
article?
Not what your asking after but I'll mention it anyway. IIRC Legend of the
Five Rings (Rokugan) has something like this with the Ancestral Daisho. I
don't remember how it works or if it's implemented in the d20 version.

T. Koivula
Ubiquitous
2003-12-02 22:04:41 UTC
Post by Doyle
There was an article in Dragon magazine a couple of months/years back
about the concept of levelled weapons. The idea is that it is a weapon
that grows with the wielder. Does anyone have a reference on that
article? Would it be improper for someone to post the gist of the
article?
It was Dragon# 289; I liked it as well.

Actually, I rather like the way Earthdawn handles magic items, which
is what that article was based.
ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.