Heroes of Hesiod: Anyone try this yet?
Reginald Blue
2010-05-10 15:35:17 UTC
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/monsterslayers

Any one "crack the spine" on this yet or actually run it? Any thoughts?
Comments? Complaints?
--
Reginald Blue
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces]
Justisaur
2010-05-11 14:53:34 UTC
Post by Reginald Blue
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/monsterslayers
Any one "crack the spine" on this yet or actually run it?  Any thoughts?
Comments?  Complaints?
Just skimmed through it, it's pretty light reading. Doesn't look bad
for an extremely short intro to rpgs. It's also a bit cutesy - after
all you can tickle the bullete from the inside after you've been
swallowed whole to try to escape. Might be alright for real
youngsters or girls. The ahem "adventure" isn't very interesting
either. On the other hand they actually give descriptions for what's
going on, which I wish they had more of in 4e.

These days I'd probably introduce through a computer/console game
first though after which this looks way too light. I'd probably go
with the dungeon! board game, then munchkin, then maybe dig out the
old blue box & adventures, then go to 4e if they were that
interested.

- Justisaur
Reginald Blue
2010-05-11 15:09:01 UTC
Post by Justisaur
Post by Reginald Blue
[...]
Excellent. Thanks!
Justisaur
2019-04-19 18:03:54 UTC
Post by Reginald Blue
Post by Justisaur
Post by Reginald Blue
[...]
9 years later...

Did you ever give this a try? I'm thinking of giving this a run with the kids. I have played both dungeon! and munchkin with the kids 7 & 8 years old, but of three games of munchkin two ended in tears before anyone won (not surprising, I've lost friends over munchkin) and dungeon! also ended in tears. I was also helping a whole heck of a lot, to the point it was almost like playing solo with the kids sitting in, making the odd decision. This actuallys looks a lot more their speed, and easier than either dungeon! or munchkin.

I also found this interesting triest on how a teacher used it as a basis for teaching math, social and reading and writing skills. That's probably way beyond me or my class size of 2, but I might be able to incorporate some of that.

https://www.alexcarterla.com/uploads/1/1/7/6/117642977/using_d_n_d_to_integrate_curriculum.pdf

There's also a bit more of a game based on it now too:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/monsterslayers

Here's the current working link for HoH

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/MS_HeroesHesiod.pdf

P.S. There's not really much 4e in HoH, I haven't checked out the monsterslayers one yet, as I intend to try HoH first.

- Justisaur