THE CREATION OF HOLY WATER
j***@gmail.com
2018-04-22 01:56:04 UTC
Q - what is the difference between the font and the baisin (other than price)
Spalls Hurgenson
2018-04-22 13:07:27 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Q - what is the difference between the font and the baisin (other than price)
The former is a fountain and the second is a tub.

Presumably the font requires some sort of pipes and plumbing to work
its magic, although I suppose it could also work /by/ magic; either
way, it's going to cost more than a tub, which just sort of... sits
there.

In game terms, well, I suppose a font might be able to create more
holy water vials (just keep blessing the water and filling those
vials), whereas a tub would have to be laboriously refilled after a
certain point. A font-enabled temple might also attract believers
faster than one with a boring ol' basin. I mean, any ol' weirdo can
dunk babies in a bucket, but if you've the cash 'n cachet to build a
fancy water fountain you're probably worth listening too ;-)
h***@gmail.com
2018-04-22 14:27:36 UTC
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Post by j***@gmail.com
Q - what is the difference between the font and the baisin (other than price)
The former is a fountain and the second is a tub.
Got a source for that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptismal_font
says that some baptismal fonts keep water moving but not suggestion of a fountain.
Mirriam-Webster suggests that it's just a container.
azothath
2018-04-27 17:22:47 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Q - what is the difference between the font and the baisin (other than price)
A font implies moving water BUT it can just be a basin(no pump) with statuary or carvings above the container and most mount to a wall. A simple search on "italian holy water fonts" should clear up any questions.
A basin is a bowl, usually on a free standing support pillar or table.

Creation of Holy Water is covered in the DMG for early editions and by Bless Water in later editions.