[blooloop] Strong National Museum of Play opening interactive D&D exhibit
Kyonshi
2024-08-24 21:17:26 UTC
Source:
https://blooloop.com/museum/news/strong-national-museum-of-play-dungeons-and-dragons/

Strong National Museum of Play opening interactive D&D exhibit

Words: Bea Mitchell
23rd August 2024

New show includes rare artefacts and immersive experiences

The Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, New York is opening a
Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) exhibit next month.

‘Dungeons & Dragons: 50 Years of Storytelling’ is launching at the
Strong on 21 September and runs through January 2025.

The new exhibit will explore five decades of D&D through rare artefacts,
prototypes, fantasy artwork and immersive experiences.

Guests will enjoy 20 immersive realms, each unveiling a chapter of D&D’s
history, as well as interactive elements that bring the fantasy tabletop
role-playing game to life.
Visitors can create their own characters, monsters and dungeons, take a
quiz to find out their character class, and test their skills as a
Dungeon Master in a campaign challenge.

Rare objects on display will include the first-edition D&D set, and the
inaugural issue of Dragon magazine sent to co-creator Gary Gygax.

“Since its creation in 1974, Dungeons & Dragons has captured the
imaginations of millions worldwide and paved the way for a new era of
interactive storytelling and role-playing games,” said Jon-Paul Dyson,
senior VP for exhibits and interpretive resources at the Strong National
Museum of Play.

“This exhibit offers an exciting opportunity to explore the game’s rich
history, showcasing the creativity and innovation that Dungeons &
Dragons has inspired over the past 50 years.
Immersive experiences at the Strong

“From the first-edition game and original artwork to iconic character
designs and dungeon maps, visitors will see first-hand the game’s
evolution and its lasting impact on popular culture.”

The Strong is the only collections-based museum in the world dedicated
to the history and exploration of play.

Last year, the museum opened its 90,000-square-foot expansion, which
boasts the world’s largest, playable Donkey Kong arcade machine.
Spalls Hurgenson
2024-08-25 19:45:52 UTC
Post by Kyonshi
https://blooloop.com/museum/news/strong-national-museum-of-play-dungeons-and-dragons/
Strong National Museum of Play opening interactive D&D exhibit
Words: Bea Mitchell
23rd August 2024
New show includes rare artefacts and immersive experiences
I can imagine the tour-guide:

"And in this room, we have captured a rare 1st Edition Dungeon Master
with whom you can interact. If you bring him some nachos, he'll even
lead you through a short mini-adventure! We apologize for the smell;
it's inherent to the species. No, no, don't get too close; he'll bite
if he thinks you're going for his dice."
Kyonshi
2024-08-28 12:17:32 UTC
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Post by Kyonshi
https://blooloop.com/museum/news/strong-national-museum-of-play-dungeons-and-dragons/
Strong National Museum of Play opening interactive D&D exhibit
Words: Bea Mitchell
23rd August 2024
New show includes rare artefacts and immersive experiences
"And in this room, we have captured a rare 1st Edition Dungeon Master
with whom you can interact. If you bring him some nachos, he'll even
lead you through a short mini-adventure! We apologize for the smell;
it's inherent to the species. No, no, don't get too close; he'll bite
if he thinks you're going for his dice."
"They show up whenever you put some 1st edition books on the table.
Nobody really knows how that works. We also don't know where they get
pens and paper for their notes.

No, please don't stare. If you make eye contact he's gonna tell you
about his campaign."
Spalls Hurgenson
2024-08-28 18:22:10 UTC
Post by Kyonshi
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Post by Kyonshi
[...]
On a related note:

Back in the day, I frequently suggested to people new to computers
that, if they had a problem:

"Leave a pizza outside your front door and wait. Eventually
you'll hear a scratching noise. Open the door; it will be
a tech-geek. Point at the computer that's having a problem.
Don't try to make conversation; you'll just scare them away.
The geek will eventually go over to the PC and fix it for
you. He'll leave as soon as it's working correctly."

One client actually got back to me and said that they (more or less)
used that technique successfully. They bought some 'za, used it to
lure over the neighborhood 'computer kid' (under the guise of a
meet-n-greet with the neighbors, I think), and then casually mentioned
he was having a problem. Kid beelined to the PC and fixed it for him.
The client's conclusion (paraphrased): 'Best tech support I ever got.'

I've used a similar solution for people struggling to find a
game-master for their tabletop games:

"Leave a bowl full of Cheetos out on the door step and wait..."